Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2019, 18:02   #16

Boat: R&C Leopard 40
Re: Portable Generator / AC

Code RVGEEKS is good for $25 off Micro Air soft start.
I just ordered a soft start from them and used it. If it works well, I may order a second one.
I would like to be able to run my 16k btu off the Honda 2.2k.
Old 11-10-2019, 18:03   #17

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
You can just go to your local hardware or Home Depot and buy a bare plug. Connect a wire between the neutral and ground. That's all a generator bondingl plug is.
That's what I did for under $10 for two of them.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:45   #18
WDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
You can just go to your local hardware or Home Depot and buy a bare plug. Connect a wire between the neutral and ground. That's all a generator bondingl plug is.
I am beginning to understand it all now. I found instructions on the website for the generator and it shows clearly how to do it at the generator panel.

Now one more question and it relates to ramblinrod’s comment “ but note you can only have one neutral/ground connection at any given time.”

Does that mean only one item can be used in the entire boat OR one connection being the shore power cord, and I can run the battery charger and the AC at the same time so long as I have enough wattage.
WDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:02   #19

Boat: Valiant 42
Portable Generator / AC

Before you assume that the neutral wire is floating i suggest that you check it first. If you don’t know how to check if the output is floating ask an electrician friend to check for you. If you just short neutral and ground there is a possibility to cause damage and even smoke/fire.

Many cheap generators do not permit shorting neutral and ground. These generators are not ABYC compliant.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:23   #20

Boat: Cal 33-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDR View Post
I am beginning to understand it all now. I found instructions on the website for the generator and it shows clearly how to do it at the generator panel.

Now one more question and it relates to ramblinrod’s comment “ but note you can only have one neutral/ground connection at any given time.”

Does that mean only one item can be used in the entire boat OR one connection being the shore power cord, and I can run the battery charger and the AC at the same time so long as I have enough wattage.
Basically there should be one neutral-ground connection and it should at the "source", i.e. at the generator or at the panel. NEVER make the connection after a load. That can put power into the ground.
JimsCAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:21   #21
Marine Service Provider

make sure the genset is not set to eco throttle. It must be running full blast to start the compressor. My honda 2000 will run my 12000 btu ac, BUT it won't do it without doing that.

Rich
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:01   #22

Boat: Valiant 42

It’s a 3.5kW generator that sells for about $400 US. It doesn’t have an eco mode. And it would be concerned it might not last a whole week at sea.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:06   #23
WDR

This is the generator and it is floating. These are the instructions.

Bonding Neutral to Ground (100573) - Champion Help Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
It’s a 3.5kW generator that sells for about $400 US. It doesn’t have an eco mode. And it would be concerned it might not last a whole week at sea.
Might not last long, but it has made it past a week , by about a month. Time will tell. A little more than $400 also, but not by too much.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:11   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by svJasmine View Post
make sure the genset is not set to eco throttle. It must be running full blast to start the compressor. My honda 2000 will run my 12000 btu ac, BUT it won't do it without doing that.

Rich
Just an FYI

With the Micro Air soft start my Honda will start my 16k unit in ECO and it does it in a nice easy way on the Honda. But it wouldn't start the 7k unit in ECO even with the hard Start kit installed and even then the it really stresses the Honda.
Old 13-10-2019, 07:17   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Just an FYI

With the Micro Air soft start my Honda will start my 16k unit in ECO and it does it in a nice easy way on the Honda. But it wouldn't start the 7k unit in ECO even with the hard Start kit installed and even then the it really stresses the Honda.
Interesting. Shame they are so expensive.
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 09:12   #26
WDR

Quote:
Just an FYI

I may end up there too but I will get that neutral bonded first and see what happens.

The LRA, which I have learned is the peak draw figure, is LRA62 but I don’t know how to read it or what it means, yet.
Old 13-10-2019, 11:39   #27
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDR View Post
I may end up there too but I will get that neutral bonded first and see what happens.
Has nothing to do with starting a load. All it doesn't is prevent breaker tripping if you have a trip pak setup and the reverse polarity light.

You will mostly like need at a minimum a hard start capacitor kit. They are like $15.
Old 13-10-2019, 11:41   #28
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by svJasmine View Post
Interesting. Shame they are so expensive.
Like $275 with the promotion code that is easy to find.

Cost of being able to run the 16K air conditioning in the Gulf oF Mexico/Florida in June-Sept at anchor with your Honda generator ...................... PRICELESS!
Old 15-10-2019, 06:57   #29
WDR

Quote:
Has nothing to do with starting a load. All it doesn't is prevent breaker tripping if you have a trip pak setup and the reverse polarity light.

You will mostly like need at a minimum a hard start capacitor kit. They are like $15.
Maybe so.

First I have to bond to get the battery charging system to work properly, as one of the reasons I wanted a generator on board was in case the solar panels are not enough to keep batteries topped off.

Also, this is not a 2kw generator. It is a 3.5kw and surely it won’t need more than that to start, but I might be mistaken on that.

The LRA is listed at 62 which I am starting to believe is 62 amps. Since I only have 30 amps coming from the shore power, and it works fine on that, it is somewhat confusing.

Possibly it already has a hard start capacitor built in to the control module for the AC.

Also, it may be a 20k BTU unit.

Someone that knows something about marine AC units should be able to look at my photo of the data plate label and give me more info, I would think.

I will upload it again and see what comments come forth.

I did take off the control panel on the generator and it is not quite as straight forward as the procedure I posted but I am sure it is still doable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B9063711-A221-4912-A290-F32463A5E8A5.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	410.7 KB
ID:	201551  
Old 15-10-2019, 07:57   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Portable Generator / AC

LRA or locked rotor amps is the absolute max possible amps and is usually never reached, it’s also of extremely short duration so yes, a 30 amp shore power connection can handle it.
Some generators can handle surge much better than others, my little 3.5 generator has a 6 kw generator, so that it handles surge very well, what makes it a 3.5 generator is engine power, same generator on a bigger motor is a 5.5.
Then some generators are rated conservatively meaning they will actually make more, and some are rated on fantasy, they will never make rated power output.
I guess there hasn’t been any truth in advertising for along time now.
If your generator is actually a 3.5, then you won’t need a soft start, cause 3500W at 120V is 29 amps.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator