Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-09-2016, 03:43   #16

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36
Re: Polished solar panel versus higher output

There is no certainty that you damaged the one panel by polishing, only speculation. Come on take a chance! Help us all learn something....maybe I'll try that on my panels. F

Old 19-09-2016, 04:49   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by foufou View Post
You have to check each panel before and after polishing. Not one panel polished compared to another un-polished as Noelex noted. Polish your remaining panels and post the new set of data. Dying to know the outcome of the next tests. f
Ixnay, if one suspects the polishing process may have hurt the panel, it would not be wise to polish all. If one really wanted to investigate, the would
Polish one more panel, before and after measuring. I would not polish with a machine as this can generate a lot of heat and subject she panel to a lot of vibration and flexure. Even by hand the panel should be on a flat surface.

Old 19-09-2016, 10:59   #18

While there may be damage caused by the polishing of the photovoltaic panels some of the comments posted earlier triggered a recollection that back when solar panel meant water heating panels ( which are still a viable idea ), there was at least one manufacturer that had pebbled glass. They claimed better solar gain. More light getting in. Some of the earlier comments suggesting shiny equals more reflection are likely exactly right. We may need to scratch up the surface to let in more light. there might already be research out there on this subject. F
Old 19-09-2016, 20:43   #19

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Well, think about it this way... you are not really making the panel shine you are making it clear. What reflects is the silicon crystal. Like when you polish old car headlights... the headlight works better after removing the haze from the plastic.
Old 19-09-2016, 21:45   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Well, think about it this way... you are not really making the panel shine you are making it clear. What reflects is the silicon crystal. Like when you polish old car headlights... the headlight works better after removing the haze from the plastic.
Exactly Zboss , I couldn't agree with you more.
Which doesn't neccesairely mean the above is correct
The idea has also been brought up that polishing the panel could of caused too much heat.
Well , not the case !
I took care of adding drupes of water whilst polishing , that way you reduce the friction and creating of heat.
And about heat and these solar panels , I can tell you they heat up quite substantially in the sun , more than polishing does.
I also took care to place the panel on top of a fairly soft under layer. In Fact it's the same stuff they use to pack these panels as a protection.
You can just see that coming from under the edges on one of the pics.

Still not out of the woods though.
The funny thing is that I left two panels as they were , hazy , and also dirty , sand and so on. These performed the same as the panel I cleaned & de- greased ( but not polished) and of course better than the polished one.

I know many will think I took the wrong panel to start with , but I'm sorry I just don't buy that.

Regards
Old 20-09-2016, 05:21   #21

While polishing makes the panel clear - as in the headlight analogy - there is a big difference with headlights. In a headlight, the light is always at the same (90 degree) angle to the plastic surface. In the case of a light coming from the sun, it is rarely at right angles to the surface. So what might be "clear" in one case becomes reflective in another. I still believe that a faceted surface might absorb more light of varying incidence angles. This is only an educated guess at this point and some research in to this idea is needed. F
Old 20-09-2016, 06:39   #22

Boat: Allied Seawind II #103
Send a message via Skype™ to stevec195

This is undoubtedly the geekiest thread yet! But strangely enjoying it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 20-09-2016, 12:50   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by foufou View Post
While polishing makes the panel clear - as in the headlight analogy - there is a big difference with headlights. In a headlight, the light is always at the same (90 degree) angle to the plastic surface. In the case of a light coming from the sun, it is rarely at right angles to the surface. So what might be "clear" in one case becomes reflective in another. I still believe that a faceted surface might absorb more light of varying incidence angles. This is only an educated guess at this point and some research in to this idea is needed. F
You have a point there Foufou.
Will reflect on it.
Thanks
Old 20-09-2016, 12:51   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec195 View Post
This is undoubtedly the geekiest thread yet! But strangely enjoying it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Steve ,

please elaborate

Regards
Old 20-09-2016, 16:27   #25

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I polished our panels a few times and they go back to haze after just a few short weeks.
Old 20-09-2016, 17:32   #26

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs View Post
I hope you people don't mind me pasting a link to an another board , that way I don't have to post all the photo's again.
The topic is about a polished solar and a consequential higher output due to it.
But ............. please read it , maybe on this board I could find the answer to the riddle.

Freaks of nature , solar panels behaving strange | Jeanneau Owners Network Forum

Thanks
Sensible for a solar collector. Aluminum is the most reflective common metal.

However good silicon solar panels tend to have optically optimized glass. Polishing is going to consume a lot of effort to maybe get a 2nd or 3rd order benefit. Measuring the difference would require a controlled lab grade light source and measurement.

Would be simpler to add another panel for a 1st order increase.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 20-09-2016, 20:42   #27

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1970 Paceship Cruisette20, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs View Post
Exactly Zboss , I couldn't agree with you more.
Which doesn't neccesairely mean the above is correct
The idea has also been brought up that polishing the panel could of caused too much heat.
Well , not the case !
I took care of adding drupes of water whilst polishing , that way you reduce the friction and creating of heat.
And about heat and these solar panels , I can tell you they heat up quite substantially in the sun , more than polishing does.
I also took care to place the panel on top of a fairly soft under layer. In Fact it's the same stuff they use to pack these panels as a protection.
You can just see that coming from under the edges on one of the pics.

Still not out of the woods though.
The funny thing is that I left two panels as they were , hazy , and also dirty , sand and so on. These performed the same as the panel I cleaned & de- greased ( but not polished) and of course better than the polished one.

I know many will think I took the wrong panel to start with , but I'm sorry I just don't buy that.

Regards
In so far as we know there are different brands using different materials, there will likely be different recommendations for care and maintenance.
Could you please make reference to your brand and model ?
The age of your units is also relavant and of course composition of the surface you are polishing. Once you pinpoint those , I'm thinking you can direct your energies efficiently?

In the mention of the heat accumulated behind the panels, we have been investigating the recent inventions of non mechanical thermoelectric generators for the harvesting of that wasted heat energy.
Also we have noted that panel manufacturers are claiming to have become upwards of 20% efficient.
I will try to recall where I read up on that and try to post it if anyone is interested.
Thanks
Old 20-09-2016, 21:24   #28
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
...However good silicon solar panels tend to have optically optimized glass. Polishing is going to consume a lot of effort to maybe get a 2nd or 3rd order benefit....
I believe the OP is discussing semi-flexible panels. No glass.

"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
thinwater is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: