Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-01-2014, 05:58   #16

Re: Panel size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
the pics are in my profile
Nope, can't see any there either. I can only find one that you uploaded, and the number of images below your name reflect that.

Old 27-01-2014, 15:32   #17

Boat: Swarbrick 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Chariot View Post
Hi Hoohaa, notice that you are planning to go to LHI. I will be heading that way end of February next year if you want some company. Went out there year before last and had a great trip.

Steve
Hi Steve. Good to here from you again.
Had a great trip down to Jervis Bay last year. Plenty of wind on the way back. We averaged 7.5 knots, it was great fun. Pity you couldn't make it.
I was keen to go to LH last year but wound up changing jobs and didn't think it was fair to take the time off. But have been with them for over a year now and have told them that I intend to to do the trip this year so its going to happen. But I think I will be aiming for the BBQ in October/November.
We will have to keep in touch. They have a meeting each year at the Orient Hotel in The Rocks "Sydney" but I will have to look for the date. Its usually posted in the Afloat mag.
Jeff

Old 27-01-2014, 15:55   #18

Boat: Outremer 50S

Your restriction of 1.5m x 1.0m is going to be the limiting factor. Good, high efficiency panels produce somewhere between 170 and 200W/m2 at standard irradiance (1000W/m2, which is high noon with no clouds and less than 10-15 degrees from normal incidence). That means your available area can maybe generate 300W. 300W at 13.6V charging voltage is 22A. That sounds good, except that a good installation (and boat installations are rarely good) gives 5 to 6 times its rating in energy production every day. So, you would get 22A for five hours, which is equivalent to your 11A for 10 hours, which then means you are getting 10/24 of your daily requirement by fitting all the solar you say you have room for. The most critical aspect of the installation is reducing, as much as your reasonably can, the loads.
Old 27-01-2014, 23:58   #19

I can raise them up to the top of the frame which would allow the panels to overhang the frame.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-01-2014, 07:52   #20

Boat: Outremer 50S

The maths still holds about the same. In an excellent installation you might see 1000Wh/m2/day of energy production, which runs to about 75Ah/day per square meter of panel area in a 12V system (for the Yanks in the crowd who might want to use this basic sizing, 7Ah/ft2/day). So, as Noelex said somewhere above, on a boat you usually run into a space constraint before you have enough solar to run everything. Part of that is because even getting that 75Ah/m2/day performance on a boat is really tough. Real-world might be closer to 35-45Ah/m2/day.

If you really draw 11A you're looking at needing 264Ah/day (plus some for battery inefficiency). FWIW we run much the same equipment on a similar sized boat and use 100-150Ah/day, with the largest load being keeping the beer cold. Even that load still requires close to 3 square meters of panels at boating efficiency.
Old 21-07-2014, 19:49   #21

Just an update and question.
I have looked at the available space and have settled on 2 120 watt panels plus my existing 60 wats. 300 wats in total and the D400 wind gen.
I am probably going with mono crystalline panels, mainly because of the dimensions I can get them in. Also, correct me if I am wrong but they are better if they cop a partial shade than the polycrystalline panels?
So my main question here is, are the mono-crystalline panels suitable for the marine environment and is there any reason not to use them in favour of the polycrystalline ?
I am also adding a 110 amp hour bat to the bank.
Jeff

Tags
size

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: