Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2007, 06:23   #16

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Thanks, Hello. For pointing out the amper hr rating difference. Looks like I'll be getting some AGM's. I have a connection with Johnson Batteries and hope to get an excellent deal. The optima's were to be 65$ ea whichis pretty good I think. Checking on AGM prices today
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:48   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"The optima's were to be 65$ ea" Sounds like wholesale. Or very very tiny Optimas.

Check the dates on the batteries--a couple of years ago Optima had a big battery sale, because they were moving out batteries that had sat unsold for over 18 months. (They don't get any better sitting, uncharged, on the shelf that long.<G>)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:59   #18

I do have a "wholesale" type pricing available to me on batteries, and will get same on AGM batteries. I sure am glad of that having to replace 10 now.
Old 12-06-2007, 21:26   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Harold, one should also note that three years is a short life for deep cycle batteries of any kind. Considering the cost of replacement--you should still try to find out WHY they died, and make sure the entire system is set up properly, to avoid losing the next set in three more years.
Old 12-06-2007, 22:19   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
10 ?!?!? Did I read that right? Ten batteries?? What size are they??

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 17:32   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
10 ?!?!? Did I read that right? Ten batteries?? What size are they??
Yep 10 bats.

Currently there are two banks of 4 gel cell size 24 10"x6.5"x9" for the house batteries. and there are two Deep cycle wet cell size 27 for starting one per main engine and the generator starts with one.

They live under the mattress in the aft staterooms. The wet cells should not be under the mattress. I am thinking of replacing with 8 AGM 6 volts giving the most storage for the space. and two 105 amp hr 12 volt AGM for starting. My experience the 6 volt batteries last longer and the extra storage capacity adds another 120 amp/hrs approxiamately

I load tested the batteries yesterday. One of the house bank bats is BAD, a couple more are so-so and 4 or 5 test strong. I will try and sell those on Craigslist locally for some beer money after I get the new ones and that will be a chore in itself. One of the Starting bats is BAD and the other is OK ish. I found receipts on the boat from the previous owner where he replaced the house bats 3 years ago.

This past weekend I had to use the jump pack several times to get the generator and stbd. engine started to charge things then the port would start. Time for new batteries.
Old 13-06-2007, 20:24   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Seaking, while wet cells and AGM can SOMEtimes be mixed, they usually have different feeding requirements and that alone is a bad sign.

I don't think it can be overemphasized: The whole charging system, types, capacities and voltages, must be matched for optimum performance. Not just what the regulator is supposed to be set for, but also confirming the output with a meter.

I'm not sure about having separate starting batteries for the engine and genset. If they are physically close in location--one battery ought to be enough for both, since starting either one would in theory give you alternator power to start up the rest. And a 105AH starting battery sounds like a Group31 in a US size, which is enough to start a honking HUGE engine.

It sounds like the PO either set things up in a way that allowed stray discharges, or didn't match up voltages and battery types. With that many batteries, even at wholesale prices (you lucky SOB! < g >) it pays to go over the whole system.

Then again, maybe the whole system Is OK, and he/you have just been deep cycling the batteries too far. When you push them past 50% capacity, the number of cycles you can get from them generally plummets.
Old 13-06-2007, 23:42   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I thought you were referring to 10 batteries for just the house bank. I thought that was either just a little excessive or you had the QEll or you were using very small Ahr batteries.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 04:38   #24

Hey Hello, The Gen and one main share a battery. But I do plan to go over the whole system. Engine alternator/regs and all switchs to be sure I am not charging the house banks with engine and Generator at the same time.