Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2017, 14:21   #1

Opinions on solar power

I just purchased a 1978 Ericson 31' Independence and plan to live aboard. Me an my girlfriend want to go cruising the carribean for a few month and plan to live on the hook in season (we live in Florida and marina fees go up in the winter). I plan on having to power a GPS, auto pilot, refrigeration, a couple bilge pumps, nav lights, and basic electronics a laptop, tablet and 2 phones. Water in the head and galley are by foot pump and plan on hot water using solar showers. Are flexible solar panels any worse that the rigid ones? I was thinking 240w should be sufficient. Appreciate any advice in advance!
onebigadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 14:31   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Opinions on solar power

Short answer: No, 240W is not enough. You really need to do an energy budget for both the at-sea and at-anchor cases (at sea is usually worse). Big power items are refrig, laptops, chartplotter if you have one, and autopilot when in use. Non-LED nav lights also take a lot of power. LED lighting is a huge improvement.

We can walk you through the process if you like. Also, search for energy / solar discussions. You're not the first to ask this question.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 15:07   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Wow this question is almost as volatile as asking about which anchor is the best.

There are a lot of variables to whether 240 watts will do and how frugal you are with your power. The suggestion to go to LED for interior and anchor lights is spot on and will save a lot of power. If your refrigeration doesn't include a freezer, you maybe able to get by in the summer w/240 watts when there are increased amounts of solar energy, but in the winter you may need to be in the 300-400 watt range.

Lots to think about in the planning for solar including, including how big of a battery bank will you have for reserve power if it's overcast.

We like the Kyocera hard panels because they are likely to deliver more consistent power over many years of use. The smallest panel they make is ~140 watts which are fairly large, but you could use them over the cockpit as your bimini.

IMO start with 280 watts and and see how it goes. If you leave room for expansion of the system, then you can add on if you need more power to run everything.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 15:57   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

The flex panels have a significantly shorter life span than the ridgid ones. Many haze up in 3 years of tropics. They are still a pretty good deal at their current low prices.
Old 20-01-2017, 16:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Wow this question is almost as volatile as asking about which anchor is the best.

There are a lot of variables to whether 240 watts will do and how frugal you are with your power. The suggestion to go to LED for interior and anchor lights is spot on and will save a lot of power. If your refrigeration doesn't include a freezer, you maybe able to get by in the summer w/240 watts when there are increased amounts of solar energy, but in the winter you may need to be in the 300-400 watt range.

Lots to think about in the planning for solar including, including how big of a battery bank will you have for reserve power if it's overcast.

We like the Kyocera hard panels because they are likely to deliver more consistent power over many years of use. The smallest panel they make is ~140 watts which are fairly large, but you could use them over the cockpit as your bimini.[emoji2]
IMO start with 280 watts and and see how it goes. If you leave room for expansion of the system, then you can add on if you need more power to run everything.

Bill O.
Hey I tried to give you as much of a scenario as i could as to that i will be doing. I understand it is a really open question but I tried my best to be as specific as i can. I am in the process of moving aboard give a newbie a break. Thanks for the LED nav and interior advice. I was planning on switching everything over. Im just not as knowledgeable when it comes to electric and batteries.
Old 20-01-2017, 16:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The flex panels have a significantly shorter life span than the ridgid ones. Many haze up in 3 years of tropics. They are still a pretty good deal at their current low prices.
Do you have experience with them? Do the generate power as well as the solid ones? I wouldn't mind starting with the cheaper option that works and upgrading down the road.
Old 20-01-2017, 16:39   #7

Boat: Cornado 25

As pointed out, lots of threads on solar here...

That being said, 240 W could be adequate with the probable exception of the refrigeration. Moving heat around is energy intensive. Lots of folks here in that have to have a reefer/freezer end up running an aux generator to keep up. Autopilot is another big drag on the batteries. While they are noisy and expensive (in comparison to current panel prices) a wind generator is a useful item underway. Enough wind to sail by and you will have adequate output to keep up with the autopilot and electronics (at least in my experience) Lock it down while at anchor and consumption is less.

All LED lighting (both cabin and nav) is a big saver. Panel costs are cheap these days... real-estate to mount them without shading, maybe not so much. Batteries are a whole other story.

Solitaire is running a fixed 100W rigid panel underway, with another rigid 150W panel deployed when at anchor for more than a few days. Started out with semi-flex panel but it took a dive early on so was not worth any savings to me. 2-Trojan t-105 batteries for house bank. No reefer (ice box, and shopping once a week for meat and veg) all LED lighting. Tiller pilot, but usually use sheet to tiller steering. Cheap win-gen waiting to be installed before next departure.

This is adequate for me, but your mileage may vary. If you are a pocket cruiser on a fixed income, you tend to lower your requirements for luxuries. 50' trimaran with plenty of room and money? May be another story.

Good luck, keep reading, and enjoy.
Old 20-01-2017, 16:44   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Onebigadventure,
We all started where you are at and it is a big learning curve, but not to worry you'll get there. Keeping your boat simple will go a long way to just getting out there and having fun. Also being young, you don't need all creature comforts, so you've already simplified things immensely.

Good luck

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 17:01   #9

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

If you go with Flexible Solar Panels, then get the Lensun 100W 12V.

They use the 22% efficiency SunPower cells which make the panel smaller for the same 100 watt output.

The first layer of these Lensun solar panel is made of ETFE which will not fog up like the PET coated ones.

Lensun® 100W 12V Flexible Solar Pane for 12V Battery charge motorhome,boats,yacht,caravan,campingvan
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 17:48   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Another issue with solar panels is how to place them so they don't see shadows. Even a small shadow can completely kill the output of a panel. There have been some good discussions here about how to deal with the shading problem.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 18:10   #11

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebigadventure View Post
Do you have experience with them? Do the generate power as well as the solid ones? I wouldn't mind starting with the cheaper option that works and upgrading down the road.
Yes have both flex and ridgid on the boat. On my second set of flex panels, the first lasted 3 years. My ridgid panels are on an arch, the flex panels are on the soft Bimini. If you have a convenient place to mount them, then I'd go ridgid - primarily for their longevity.

My second set of flex panels are the EFTE panels. We'll see if the surface lasts any longer than the others. Flex panels don't last as long also if they are allowed to flex, which they do on Bimini mounts.
Also, there are many vendors, including the low-cost direct from China ones, who use the Sunpower cells.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 19:15   #12

Boat: Westsail 28

A Ericson Independence !!? That is one cool boat , we only live aboard in the summer time and we do not have a reefer, to tell you the truth we have little in the way of power draw , but I digress . Last summer we bought this set up 120 Watt 120W 12V 12 Volt Monocrystalline Flexible Bendable Solar Panel RV Boat | eBay and this https://genasun.com/all-products/sol...ge-controller/ It is expandable . Also maybe you could look in to a Honda genny . Good luck keep us posted .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 19:20   #13

Boat: Boatless

My solar panels have saved me $5 per day for the last 8 years! I have a big gas guzzling generator which is not even needed at 40 South.

Worked great even in Nova Scotia!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 19:29   #14

Boat: Westsail 28

Forgot , your batts. are also part of of the set up . keep them fresh and big and more than 2 . We are on the 6v deep cycle thing . We have the two 6vs' = 12 v and a starting batt .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 19:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
Forgot , your batts. are also part of of the set up . keep them fresh and big and more than 2 . We are on the 6v deep cycle thing . We have the two 6vs' = 12 v and a starting batt .
I have been reading that people use these 6v deep cycle. What is the difference between that and 12v? I was also looking into golf cart batteries i hear work well.

Tags
solar