Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2018, 11:56   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Oops, start battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
LiPo batteries aren't used for marine House banks anyway, for the exact reason they any many other "lithium" chemistries are at risk of thermal runaway.

LFP (LiFePO4) are not at such risk, and are increasingly used on boats, very successfully.

Pure ignorant fear-mongering.
exactly why I went to length to show the fire he posted was not due to any kind of thermal runaway from batteries.
Old 16-01-2018, 12:21   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron
I like being moored out further away from the bombs all parked like cordwood.

Pure ignorant fear-mongering.
Well, whatever the origin , marina and boatyard fires do spread from boat to boat and often do involve explosions from fuel tanks and LPG containers, etc. Don't think this is a problem? Ask Minaret...

So yeah, closely packed bombs isn't so far off from the reality of marinas, and choosing to keep ones boat somewhere else is perhaps a bit paranoid but not without cause.

Jim
Old 16-01-2018, 12:31   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, whatever the origin , marina and boatyard fires do spread from boat to boat and often do involve explosions from fuel tanks and LPG containers, etc. Don't think this is a problem? Ask Minaret...

So yeah, closely packed bombs isn't so far off from the reality of marinas, and choosing to keep ones boat somewhere else is perhaps a bit paranoid but not without cause.

Jim
Jim the issue I have with blackheron was his implying that the fire was the result of thermal runaway of lithium battery technology.
Marina fire possibility is the reason I like my marina . I am one of only 4 boats on the commercial dock during the cruise ship season , we are joined by two small ships during the off season . They are manned 24 /7 with maintenance personnel.
Old 16-01-2018, 15:33   #34
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

The photograph I used at the end of my post earlier was merely for illustrative purposes -simply to show the dangers of people using unsafe and unstable power sources in crowded marinas. A fire is a fire and they behave the same way in a marina once they get out of control. Nowhere did I state it was a fire caused by dangerous lithium batteries. I simply grabbed it off of the internet to illustrate the point.

If you can't understand that simple fact then there really isn't much point in trying to continue any dialog.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 15:39   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
The photograph I used at the end of my post earlier was merely for illustrative purposes -simply to show the dangers of people using unsafe and unstable power sources in crowded marinas. A fire is a fire and they behave the same way in a marina once they get out of control. Nowhere did I state it was a fire caused by dangerous lithium batteries. I simply grabbed it off of the internet to illustrate the point.

If you can't understand that simple fact then there really isn't much point in trying to continue any dialog.
actually you should reread what you said in conjunction with your posting the picture.

{What are you going to do with a lithium battery in thermal runaway? Dump it overboard? That's assuming you are there onboard to do something about it in the first place. Lithium batteries are one of the reasons why I don't even want to stay at a marina any more.

Sure, the folks who make these batteries and "green" vehicles are huge donors to political campaigns these days so the regulatory agencies look the other way with all the issues. }

that sure reads to me like you were referring to lithium batteries considering your first sentence in the post.
Old 16-01-2018, 15:49   #36
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
actually you should reread what you said in conjunction with your posting the picture.

{What are you going to do with a lithium battery in thermal runaway? Dump it overboard? That's assuming you are there onboard to do something about it in the first place. Lithium batteries are one of the reasons why I don't even want to stay at a marina any more.

Sure, the folks who make these batteries and "green" vehicles are huge donors to political campaigns these days so the regulatory agencies look the other way with all the issues. }

that sure reads to me like you were referring to lithium batteries considering your first sentence in the post.
It was just a photo, to simply illustrate the danger of fires in a marina aboard a boat.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 16:42   #37
CLOD

Boat: none

You guys are really limiting your audience by posting all this on this thread! This is just a “I didn’t water my start battery” thread
Old 16-01-2018, 16:53   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You guys are really limiting your audience by posting all this on this thread! This is just a “I didn’t water my start battery” thread
Don don't forget to water the new one
Sorry for the drift. I just can't stand when misleading info is posted, or even infered .
Old 17-01-2018, 00:15   #39
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I have the same compulsion

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 03:47   #40

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
I have the same compulsion