Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 15:40   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
One Way Windlass

I,purchased a new used boat.Installed is a Lewmar 1000 pro windlass.
It only operates one way up.NO GO DOWN,I,can lower the chain by reducing clutch pressure via lossening the nut,I,tighten and raise the rode,I,have 700 miles to go to get back to Fl.I,used an ohm meter to test the switch seem's ok.Never having had a windlass before,I,need some tec advice as to what to check.
Thanks for the help.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 15:51   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: one way windlass

That's actually a micro-switch that throws a solenoid, right? (I had a Lewmar Sprint 1000 on an earlier boat, and it was set up that way. Is the pro the same?)

Here's a link to a manual: http://www.lewmar.com/%5Cassets%5Cim...print_1000.pdf

Chances are pretty good is that your problem is in the solenoid, not the windlass itself.
Old 01-02-2012, 15:55   #3

Boat: PETERSON 44
There may be several solenoids. .one could be bad. But start with the down switch and a ohm meter. No ohm meter use a bulb and battery source check the connections. Check voltage at the switch. Could be you just clean some connections and down you go.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 16:05   #4

Boat: boat less ATM

I had a similar problem once. I found that clicking the up & down switch alternately a few times would get down mode active. I agree it is the solenoid microswitch sticking or a bad contact. The solenoid switch should be close ti the windlass in a dry spot. follow the wiring back from the windlass.
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 16:19   #5

Boat: Pearson 422

May be a feature or a bug. If you have 2 footswitches, then it's likely a bug and you'll need to check the reversing solenoid. As stated above, an ohm-meter will do the trick. If you only have one footswitch, then it's likely a feature. I installed our new windlass with only the 'up' switch. I prefer to loosen the clutch to lower the anchor manually, so no need for the extra cost and complexity.

I've heard good arguments both for/against powering down as an option. I'm sure others will weigh in with some of them.
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 17:45   #6
Marine Service Provider

Thanks Guy's,I,checked the switch with an ohm meater look's ok clicked a number of times no go.I,tapped the selenoid no change.The switch and selnoid are both out of the wether they are below deck the switch has a long wire attached to it and will run up thru the forward hatch to the windlass so the operator can see the action,poor arrangement but not ready to re engineer it now.How about jumping the selenoid to see if it will turn in reverse?Any more thoughts will be appreciated
Thank's
Old 01-02-2012, 17:57   #7

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

No worries mate. I always liked a manual down. You have good control.

Snug it up, put your snubber on, let out 10 feet then tighten the clutch up good.

Used maunal down for 6 years and loved it.
New boat has power down and it's just to slow for me and why use power when you can use free gravity.

Fix it when you get home.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 18:21   #8

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

casual, Before you take everything apart, check all connections for corrosion or loose or bad connectors. Next switch the wires on the switches and see if it will now go down in reverse and not come up. Reverse the solenoid first and then the wiring to the switches. If either fixes the problem you will know what to replace. Trial and error. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:39   #9
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for all the input,Beach House,I,did reverse the wires on the switch still no go.
I,beleive from all that you folk's posted that my problem lies with the
solenoid or motor,I'll jump the solenoid and try and get the motor to run,backwards.if that doesn't work then I,need a motor,I,checked all conections first before I,did any thing elese and cleaned them.No Help.My fear in not correcting then problem is two fold if I,feefall the rode and the up quits 100 ft plus of chain is a lot of hauling,especially since I,am singlehanding,two electrical shorts something may develope leading to fire the Sailors worse nightmare.
Thanks again all
Old 02-02-2012, 15:25   #10

Reverse the leads at the contactor
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windlass