Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2018, 16:59   #31

Re: One alternator, solar panels, and 2 banks

That's how my boat is setup too. Originally, the previous owner had a 12v relay that combined house + start when engine key is on. I thought this was a terrible idea, so I removed the relay. My Heart charger/inverter has an "echo charge". I wired that up and thought I had it figured out. Under shore power, this was fine; when motoring, I thought I could switch the A/B switch to both to charge the start battery -- I never did.

After adding a few solar panels, I decided to revisit this wiring. Now alternator and solar go to house. I added Yandina relay to charge the start. I don't have to worry about A/B switch, just leave it on house.

This is probably the simplest and most fool-proof wiring that I can think of. It makes sense.

Good luck
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 20:37   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Is an echo charger the same thing as an ACR?
Mike,

What are ACRs, Combiners & Echo Chargers? (by Maine Sail) [scroll to the top]
http://forums.catalina.sailboatowner...d.php?p=742417 and Battery isolator / voltage regulator / batteries
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 22:22   #33

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Mike,

What are ACRs, Combiners & Echo Chargers? (by Maine Sail) [scroll to the top]
http://forums.catalina.sailboatowner...d.php?p=742417 and Battery isolator / voltage regulator / batteries
Thanks Stu, I think I’ve got it now. Both ACR and echo chargers are similar. In the context of this discussion they can be used in near-identical ways, but the echo charger is somewhat more managed or controlled in its transfer of amps from the main bank to the secondary.

Interesting how Mainsail dismisses the need for a dedicated starter battery. I’ve always viewed protecting the starter battery as key to a good night’s sleep. My current setup includes two banks consisting of a 320 amp-hr deep cycle bank (house), and a single starter battery used solely to start the engine. They are managed through my three-way switch, but the only time they are combined is when I’m charging with lots of input amps flowing (from alternator or solar/wind).
Old 10-02-2018, 03:03   #34

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
That's how my boat is setup too. Originally, the previous owner had a 12v relay that combined house + start when engine key is on. I thought this was a terrible idea, so I removed the relay. My Heart charger/inverter has an "echo charge". I wired that up and thought I had it figured out. Under shore power, this was fine; when motoring, I thought I could switch the A/B switch to both to charge the start battery -- I never did.

After adding a few solar panels, I decided to revisit this wiring. Now alternator and solar go to house. I added Yandina relay to charge the start. I don't have to worry about A/B switch, just leave it on house.

This is probably the simplest and most fool-proof wiring that I can think of. It makes sense.

Good luck
Don
Yes ! Thanks, that's exactly what I'm shooting for.
OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2023, 11:59   #35

Boat: Allmand 31

Though not ideal for the last three years I have been using the Sterling ProSplitR (Zero Drop Isolator). Starter battery and Batt 2 are AGM, and Batt 3 is LiPo4. The ProSplitR protects my alternator when the LiPo4 BMS turns off Batt 3, through charging AGMs.

Using a Balmar external alternator regulator I have programmed the voltage down to 13.9v (13.8v at batt), and belt load manager (battery load) reducing field current by 35%. This results in limiting the battery current down to 30amps, and keeps the alternator temperature down to 65 Celsius.
Without programming the temperature will exceed the alternator temperature sensor preset to 100 Celsius. (& batt temp sensor attached to ProSplitR 30C)
My LiPo4 BMS regulates the battery voltage to a maximum 13.4v (3.25v per cell) for 90% state of charge.
Paradox111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, panels, solar, solar panels