Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2015, 12:14   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51
Old Generator Or New

I have an older 10kw westerbeke diesel generator that will probably take $700 to put back in good shape.-- it is a big beast weighing just over 500 lbs. currently sitting in my garage-- it is time to make the decision - do i put this generator into my Gulfstar 51 - (there is room in the engine area for it) or do i get it running and then try to sell it putting the money i get toward a smaller new generator.-- i really think i could do just fine with a 6.5 to 7.5 kw unit.-- thoughts? I have had some tell me to keep this one based on the fact that it does not have "fancy electronics" that will cause problems.-- We will be cruising in the Carribean for an extended time. Thanks!
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:26   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Old Generator Or New

I'd just guess that there would be a $7K or so Delta between them?
Depends on if you have the money to spend, I'd rather have a new Northern Lights if money isn't an issue, plus I have no idea as to condition of the "old" one.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 19:47   #3

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Old Generator Or New

Depends on your actual load. You are better off with a higher load on a smaller generator than a similar load in a larger generator. I have a Northern Lights 5 Kw. If it was me, I'd get a new Northern Lights properly sized. I've got 2700 hours on mine and still running like a top. I would rather have the Westerbeke than a single cylinder, 3600 RPM genset.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 22:59   #4

Boat: Mason 44
Re: Old Generator Or New

A friend left Florida with westerbeke 8kw 2 cylinder 3,600 rpm. Today in Malaysian waters, his out of production 12 year old westerbeke elbow were still leaking after being welded so many times. For the last leg up, he cruised without the use genny which he abuses for his kettle, microwave and hot water showers. The heat exchanger bleeder screw broke with the stud in the thread. luckily the mechanic could get it out for a replacement screw. The external water container leaked at the holder groove.

Another 51ft aluminium sailboat with an onan, had it overhauled for a lot $$$ and 2 weeks before leaving, he detected water in the oil! Immediately he bought a new Kohler. His reason - he does not want to be working on his genset on his way across the Indian Ocean.

possible choices for genset without electronics/motherboard :

Betamarine uk for kubota engine, Phasor - kubota, NL.

If I have the $$,$$$ nothing beats having a reliable genset, at least for the next 5 years of serious use.
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator