Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2015, 11:21   #1
tat

Boat: cabin cruiser 22ft
Old chestnut: which silent generator?

I am sorry to ask what must be a boring old chestnut, but it really is very important to me.

I need to know which is the most portable and silent generator.

I am definately going to buy one, so that i can run it an hour a day to blast my batteries up a bit, enough for a day.

I know Honda do a quiet one, and I am happy to go with that, the smallest one they do as I do not need a lot of power, but maybe there is one now come on the market just as good or better. My main concern is weight and noise level, rather than price.

Hope you can help. Just tell me straight. I really need one and will get one. Which is the most silent, light and reliable, and maybe easy to start comes into it, as it is not just all about me.

The idea is to buy a petrol generator and two good battery chargers and give the two batteries a blast at the same time, just for a quick boost, just for an hour.
tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 11:55   #2

Boat: Catalina 387
Re: Old chestnut: which silent generator?

Honda. Yamaha if you like blue better than red. There's a reason every boater and RVer uses hondas.

A 1Kw honda will run ONE (not two) 40A battery charger. They're light and quiet. I'd combine the batteries (parallel them) and charge them from one charger, and charge longer to stick with the 1Kw generator.

If you really want two chargers, 2 20A will run from a 1KW genset or you'll need to move up to a 2KW genset (Honda)

Solar panels are really quiet too.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 02:18   #3
tat

Boat: cabin cruiser 22ft
Re: Old chestnut: which silent generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
Honda. Yamaha if you like blue better than red. There's a reason every boater and RVer uses hondas.

A 1Kw honda will run ONE (not two) 40A battery charger. They're light and quiet. I'd combine the batteries (parallel them) and charge them from one charger, and charge longer to stick with the 1Kw generator.

If you really want two chargers, 2 20A will run from a 1KW genset or you'll need to move up to a 2KW genset (Honda)

Solar panels are really quiet too.
Thank you very much for that, just the reassurance i was hoping to hear. I will have to look into 40amp chargers, but I now know the way to go.

I would be interested in solar panels, but there is not a lot of sun where I live, very overcast where I live. Though the bit of research i did told me that polychrystalline types, the thin film, does well in these conditions. But then they are not cheap, and how long will they last, and could they be stolen because on show.

But the generator will be there. No power worries.

Thank you, I really appreciate your help. Cheers.
tat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator