Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-07-2014, 09:02   #16

Re: Odyssey TPPL batteries

Hi Mainsail - I installed a Smartgauge battery monitor a couple of weeks ago. After two weeks of letting in sync with the batteries, I charged them until the SGBM said 100% SOC. Then verified the Victron BMV-702 said zero Ah discharged, disconnected the shore power and put a 10-15amp load on the system (variable due to refrigeration) let it discharge overnight to a 50% SOC charge reading on the SGBM. At that point read off the negative Ah on the BMV (-115Ah), multiplied that by 2 and divided that into the rated capacity of the 2x1800FT batteries.

I knew I was losing capacity, after being away from shore power for so long and able to charging them to 100% SOC as often as they need - it wasn't a big surprise. But if I can resurrect them with the charging regime outlined above its worth a shot. I'm guessing I will need a bench power supply that lets me regulate the amps (18 amp max as 4% of the rated Ah) and voltage separately (16.6v max) - hoping I can borrow or rent one as I would hate to spend the money on another 1 time use only piece of kit!

Old 27-07-2014, 18:47   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: Odyssey TPPL batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinnishline View Post
Hi Mainsail - I installed a Smartgauge battery monitor a couple of weeks ago. After two weeks of letting in sync with the batteries, I charged them until the SGBM said 100% SOC. Then verified the Victron BMV-702 said zero Ah discharged, disconnected the shore power and put a 10-15amp load on the system (variable due to refrigeration) let it discharge overnight to a 50% SOC charge reading on the SGBM. At that point read off the negative Ah on the BMV (-115Ah), multiplied that by 2 and divided that into the rated capacity of the 2x1800FT batteries.

I knew I was losing capacity, after being away from shore power for so long and able to charging them to 100% SOC as often as they need - it wasn't a big surprise. But if I can resurrect them with the charging regime outlined above its worth a shot. I'm guessing I will need a bench power supply that lets me regulate the amps (18 amp max as 4% of the rated Ah) and voltage separately (16.6v max) - hoping I can borrow or rent one as I would hate to spend the money on another 1 time use only piece of kit!
That text is not very accurate but assuming you chose the correct profile in the smart gauge it does seem as if your bank has lost significant capacity.

Ideally the load would be 21.8A and run until the batteries hit 10.5V. You drew it at less than the 20 hour rate so if the batts were at 75F or so you'd get slightly more than the 20 hour rated capacity.. The only real test is to get a steady load at the 20 hour rate and keep it steady until 10.5V... How many Ah's before the bank hit 10.5V......?

Old 29-07-2014, 12:39   #18

Re: Odyssey TPPL Batteries

OK I will have to give that test a go when I'm next at the boat. I would be surprised if it gave a much different indication than the Smartgauge as Enersys tested the monitor specifically with Odyssey batteries and found it to be very accurate - but in any case it will be interesting to compare the two.
Old 29-07-2014, 13:59   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Odyssey TPPL Batteries

Finnish-
The only ways to "bring back" capacity are arguably to equalize the batteries, according to the makers instructions for that battery (which may help some if you haven't been doing that) or to try one of the "pulsating" chargers which supposedly can bring back some capacity, although most folks say they are bunk. That and making sure you are charging them to 100% with a proper slow charge to bring them all the way up.

But if your testing is accurate and you're around 52% now, I wouldn't expect any major change. Just consume them, and optimize your charging system for the new batteries before you buy them. At 52%, you've still got some consuming to do.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: