Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2011, 04:01   #76
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Nuclear Energy Density

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailon View Post
Nothing wrong with nuclear powered sea going vessels. If you'd like an eye opening primer on the dangers of land bases nuclear plant energy production facilities, just turn on the news, & pray for the people of Japan.

Might want to stick your finger in the air too, just to see if the radiation's blowing in the wind in your direction. The stupidity of chants like drill baby drill, put an end to the repubs chances last time out, and propelled BHO right into office.
There's no danger in Japan from the plant... as has been stated above by 'experts'.... they have back ups... its under control...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 13-03-2011, 05:47   #77

Re: Nuclear Energy Density

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
There's no danger in Japan from the plant... as has been stated above by 'experts'.... they have back ups... its under control...
Reminds me of the Saturday Night Live skit where the old sage Nuclear Plant operator said to the young plant operators as he walked out the door: "Remember, you can never put too much water into a nuclear reactor". After he retired they then tried to figure out what he meant. Is it ok or not ok to put too much water into a nuclear reactor?

Seriously though a lot of people forget about the memo:

"FBI headquarters has provided the following information to all field offices. During debriefings of an AL Qaeda senior operative, he stated there would (be) a second airline attack in the U.S. The attack was already planned and three individuals were on the ground in the states recruiting non-Arabs to take part in the attack. The plan is to fly a commercial aircraft into a nuclear power plant to be chosen by the team on the ground. The plan including diverting the mission to any tall building if a military aircraft intercepts the plane."

Just like when Bin Laden and his pals turned U.S. airliners into cruise missles on 9/11. Al Queada it seems has had plans in the works to use nuclear plants as "dirty" bombs in our backyards. Here is the quote from from KSM:

"I was responsible for surveillance needed to hit nuclear power plants that generate electricity in several U.S. states."- testimony of Kahlid Sheikh Mohammed March 10, 2007
Old 13-03-2011, 06:34   #78
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
"I was responsible for surveillance needed to hit nuclear power plants that generate electricity in several U.S. states."- testimony of Kahlid Sheikh Mohammed March 10, 2007
No s***. I wonder where these Terrorists come up with these cunning ideas? Just as well he got caught as else no one would have considered that was a possibility.

But the good news is that from what I hear he also confessed to shooting JFK. and revealed that his real identity is Kermit the Frog. and that he was the 3rd man on the moon, behind Armstrong and Elvis
Old 13-03-2011, 07:03   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

From BBC
Quote:
Officials say reactor 3 lost its emergency cooling system. A similar problem led to a blast at reactor 1 at the plant on Saturday.

About 170,000 people have been evacuated from the area near the plant, as Chris Hogg reports from Tokyo.
And the beat goes on. Hmmm, didn't the Prime Minister say a few days ago that there was "no problem".
Old 13-03-2011, 07:17   #80

The gruesome realities of the ongoing tragedy in Japan continue to take a terrible toll, even without the most serious long term implications of radiation poisoning and nuclear meltdowns. Using the price of gas as a rallying point here for advocating nuclear plant construction, or a drill baby drill cry for increased oil extraction in formerly pristine places of the planet, indicates a mindset blind to the lessons of Chernobyl and the BP Gulf Horizon explosion, the Exxon Valdez and others. How many times must some people be hit over the head before the can feel the pain?
Old 13-03-2011, 07:45   #81

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailon View Post
The gruesome realities of the ongoing tragedy in Japan continue to take a terrible toll, even without the most serious long term implications of radiation poisoning and nuclear meltdowns. Using the price of gas as a rallying point here for advocating nuclear plant construction, or a drill baby drill cry for increased oil extraction in formerly pristine places of the planet, indicates a mindset blind to the lessons of Chernobyl and the BP Gulf Horizon explosion, the Exxon Valdez and others. How many times must some people be hit over the head before the can feel the pain?
A lot!!!

To think I haven't been right up front in the cockpit of a USCG helo for over 20 years to view global disasters, pain, suffering, mass death, or conversely haven't seen the beauty of the high arctic, antarctic, volcanic activity in Iceland, rockies, redwoods...etc..etc (to the point of laughter) is pretty narrow.

Don't dare lecture me on how the planet should be run...you have no idea how to...neither does anyone else.

We stumble along through time and do the best we can...like our personal lives and raising a family. good times, and bad....success and failure.

Drill baby drill...build baby build...I see it my way... you see it yours
Old 13-03-2011, 08:15   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Chernobyl: Leaking radiation and sucking up Canadian money - The Globe and Mail
And on...
Old 13-03-2011, 08:29   #83

Thanks to the crisis in Japan there will never be another nuclear plant built in the USA and I for one think that's a good thing.
Old 13-03-2011, 08:31   #84
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Wow, completely off cruising topics and allowed to go on for so long.
OK, Folks - I'm going to let you into a secret here. I'm a moderator now (that bit's not secret, I know.) I have spent an entire week in the back rooms, neglecting my Masters work, and letting the brew sit for waaaay too long - and now I'm gonna blow the whistle. It turns out they're all human! Seriously.

Now, initially I personally couldn't see any link between Nuclear Energy Density and cruising. My husband answered that one. He says if we can stick a nuclear reactor on the boat, we'll save a fortune in fuel. OK. That works for me.

However, there is a fine line between letting threads run because they are incredibly interesting to cruisers; and cutting them because they are off topic and mean. I know the comment about maths etc wasn't aimed at me but it made me feel stupid - and that wasn't nice. So please, educate me. If I can get my stepson to invent a nuclear reactor for the boat as a result, then fine, I'll give the mods a cut. But.... please be nice!
Old 13-03-2011, 09:43   #85

So the thread's cut off, unless we can teach your stepson to invent a nuclear reactor that is safe to propel a sailboat?

That's practically the same reasoning caused Sterling Hayden to abscond with his kids and vagabond his way 'cross the Pacific.
Old 13-03-2011, 09:47   #86

The above was said with a smile, a meek tone and very nicely. I know the black 'n white words of internet posts often lack the personal inflection & visual clues necessary to not take offense.
Old 13-03-2011, 09:52   #87

Maybe mods should move this thread over to the Off-Topic forum, and let it continue (though it seems to have exhausted it's productive life already, unless someone has something new to say).
Old 13-03-2011, 09:55   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

This thread has strayed off topic for far too long. There's been adequate point/counterpoint on the environmental aspects of various energy sources.

Let's suffice to say that unless you are pedaling a bicycle generator or are 100% solar, you are probably adding to the demand for energy production and distribution just by reading this on your computer.

So how about we continue all this expenditure of MENTAL energy on topics germane to Cruising?

Just to give the staff time to consider the ultimate disposition of this thread, I'm closing it. It may come back, it may not.