Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 01:57   #1
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
No Power to Engine Panel

Hi all,

After removing my engine for a few months I put it back in a few weeks ago. Today I finished connecting everything up and hoping to see power and the starter motor turn, I have NO power to my engine panel. Zero, no ignition lights no starter no buzzer. The panel seems dead.

It's a vovlo Penta 2003 T

I've got power to the house no problem, power to my bilge pumps, and gas alarms, but nothing to my engine panel dash.

What cable powers the panel? Is it the main cable to the starter motor or the alternator?

Also, I wired up my two new 120amp solar panels. On a sunny day I had coming from the two joined together 12.8v. Is that normal? I was expecting more before going nt the new 20amp Stekka controller.
__________________

__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:02   #2
Marine Service Provider
 
Emmalina's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Thailand
Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Posts: 482
Re: No power to engine panel

Maybe you should stay away from electrics :-) Your Solar panels will be in Watts not Amps 120a Panel will be VERY big. The 2003 VP is powered by a fuse and a multiway connector just after the header tank.
__________________

__________________
Steve .. It was the last one that did this !
Emmalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:05   #3
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: No power to engine panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Maybe you should stay away from electrics :-) Your Solar panels will be in Watts not Amps 120a Panel will be VERY big. The 2003 VP is powered by a fuse and a multiway connector just after the header tank.
Doh! Watts then.

Fuse or rather fuses all look ok. I changed them over to try and still didn't work.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:57   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,712
Re: No power to engine panel

Do you own a multimeter? If not - get one. Then:

1. Test the fuses - don't just look at them.
2. Start testing the circuit from the starter battery towards the control panel.

If you don't know how to do that, find someone around your area who can show you in return for a few beers.
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:48   #5
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: No power to engine panel

Does the power from the source, in my case the three way switch, go to the starter or the solonoide attached to the starter?
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:33   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,580
Images: 240
Re: No power to engine panel

Wiring Diagrams on pages 28 & 29 in Shop Manual
http://www.bluemoment.com/manuals/vo...002_worksh.pdf
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:36   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,712
Re: No power to engine panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Does the power from the source, in my case the three way switch, go to the starter or the solonoide attached to the starter?
Suggest you study the wiring diagram at

Boatinfo - Volvo Penta 2001, 2002, 2003, 2003T Engine Service Manual
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:49   #8
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,059
Re: No power to engine panel

Just off the wall. You didn't forget to get a good ground connection to the engine? Everything you described would depend on that. Forgetting the cold side is easy.
__________________
Cadence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 15:31   #9
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: No power to engine panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Just off the wall. You didn't forget to get a good ground connection to the engine? Everything you described would depend on that. Forgetting the cold side is easy.
Now that's worth me checking. All the non engine electrics work but there earthed back to the battery. I'd painted the engine when it was out of the boat so it's possible I've put the earth back onto a heavily painted surface.

Thanks Cadence, I'll go check that this afternoon. Might be on to it.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 16:01   #10
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,059
Re: No power to engine panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Now that's worth me checking. All the non engine electrics work but there earthed back to the battery. I'd painted the engine when it was out of the boat so it's possible I've put the earth back onto a heavily painted surface.

Thanks Cadence, I'll go check that this afternoon. Might be on to it.
Hope that's it. Let me know. Feed my ego if it works. I looked at the manual, did you find the fuse that had been mentioned. If you can find that relay try thumping it? I was not sure exactly what it does. I think it might ground the starter solenoid?

Good luck.
__________________
Cadence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 16:16   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Posts: 693
Images: 8
Re: No power to engine panel

Is not the solenoid grounded to the starter which is bolted onto the engine block? Was the area where the starter is bolted on to the block painted?
__________________
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 16:16   #12
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: No power to engine panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Hope that's it. Let me know. Feed my ego if it works. I looked at the manual, did you find the fuse that had been mentioned. If you can find that relay try thumping it? I was not sure exactly what it does. I think it might ground the starter solenoid?

Good luck.
The fuse block has four permanent fuses in it. As someone else suggested I'll put a meter across them and double check them rather than just view them. I doubt it's got anything to do with the fuse block as I tried each fuse and got no power on any of them. Relay is easiy to get in and out so I'll check that too.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 16:18   #13
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: No power to engine panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
Is not the solenoid grounded to the starter which is bolted onto the engine block? Was the area where the starter is bolted on to the block painted?
Yes that's correct. Why?
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 16:21   #14
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: No Power to Engine Panel

If the engine electrical system was working before you removed the engine and it's not working after you re-installed it, it's highly likely that you hooked something up wrong or failed to hook something up. Fuses aren't going to blow while the engine is out.

Go back and check your work. That's where the problem is.
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 16:28   #15
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: No Power to Engine Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If the engine electrical system was working before you removed the engine and it's not working after you re-installed it, it's highly likely that you hooked something up wrong or failed to hook something up. Fuses aren't going to blow while the engine is out.

Go back and check your work. That's where the problem is.
that's my suspicion as well. Which is what led to me asking as I went over the wiring yesterday. It's not like there is a lot of wiring. Basically five connections. The main engine harness is a single plus in, can't really get that wrong as it only goes in one way. If it's a wire I've connected wrong I'm suspecting it's around the alternator. But would that kill power completely?

But I'm keen to check the earth bolt first as that makes a lot of sense I think.
__________________

__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
engine

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Shore Power Inlet, Battery Charger, A/C Panel pressuredrop Classifieds Archive 6 22-04-2011 01:31
News: How to Make the Most of Solar Power (Increase Your Panel Efficiency) E-P Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 3 12-08-2010 23:59
Flat Panel TV Power Consumption? bbhflts Marine Electronics 1 17-05-2009 03:45
Solar Panel Power Estimation Annapolis Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 2 24-07-2007 12:49



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:06.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.