Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2015, 17:14   #1

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
No more racheting wire crimper for me.

About a decade ago I got myself a racheting wire crimper
Name:   ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1420160914.816649.jpg
Views: 2411
Size:  14.1 KB
similar to this one. At close to $80, I was happy to get perfect wire crimps every time. Well, almost every time. Sometimes it would lock up, for example if the connecter was not perfectly matched, and I would be jamming a screwdriver into the release lever. However, last month I was out of town on a project and did not have my super crimper with me. While roaming the halls of the local home improvement store, I inquired where I could find their wire crimpers. The salesperson said that he was a professional and in his opinion the Klein Tools crimper was much better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1420161104.858823.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	94684

It has a wire cutter at the end, and two crimp positions: one for insulated terminals and one for non-insulated terminals. I bought it, for about one-third of the price of the racheting crimper. And it was faster, easier and performed perfectly. It was hefty enough to do the job and solidly too. I left it on that boat.
Returning home, I had to use my old standby. It was heavier and clumsier to use in close quarters. It did not work so well crimping a 14 gauge wire into one side of a 12 gauge butt connector. It would not crimp it solid. Yes, I know there are special step down butt connectors, but who can have those always on hand?

I suppose on the bench, in a well lighted air conditioned room, I probably would use my faithful racheting crimper. Otherwise I am happier with using the cheaper Klein one.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 01-01-2015, 17:36   #2

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer
Re: No more racheting wire crimper for me.

That Klein does an acceptable job on the contact part of a red / blue / yellow crimp connector.

Mine has been retired since the Xcelite ECP-100 has been added to my crimp tool arsenal.

That Xcelite has provided perfect contact and insulation crimps every time. I do not hesitate recommending this tool.

My T&B TBM6 crimp tool is what I use for the battery cable lugs. I have retired the Ancor hammer crimp tool.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 17:42   #3

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
It did not work so well crimping a 14 gauge wire into one side of a 12 gauge butt connector. It would not crimp it solid. Yes, I know there are special step down butt connectors, but who can have those always on hand?
Always use the correct connector for the application.

My preference is to maintain a personal inventory of the various sizes and purchase additional parts when that inventory runs low or is depleted.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 20:52   #4

I use a similar one but mine is channel lock brand.

so much easier to use. one handed use so I can still hold a wire. those rachet ones pretty much need 2 hands to hold it.

for smaller wirer I fold back / double... double 14 fits into yellow but.

for 6-4/0 use ftz crimper

http://www.ftzind.com/store/main.asp...rid&item=94284
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 21:28   #5

Boat: Rinker 24

I have at least a dozen different wire crimpers of various flavors, and pretty much each one has special purposes. Ratcheting ones are nice when you cannot physically see the crimp and have to work by feel, but I have a couple of this Klein pattern and if I have to carry only one set of crimpers these would be the pair.

Actually, the best pair I have of this pattern is an old pair made by "Sta-Kon" They seem to be made from some sort of indestructable tool steel, I have cut hardened steel wire with them in the past.

Anyway, I also recommend picking up a pair in this pattern if a person is in need of crimpers or cutters.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:13   #6

Boat: ODAY 28

I have several raceting type crimpers, they always gave me a good crimp, that is all I used when I was working in the avation field. and well when working on Boats
as prev. always use correct splice for wire gage
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:33   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
A The salesperson said that he was a professional and in his opinion the Klein Tools crimper was much better.

I suppose on the bench, in a well lighted air conditioned room, I probably would use my faithful racheting crimper. Otherwise I am happier with using the cheaper Klein one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWhite View Post
Actually, the best pair I have of this pattern is an old pair made by "Sta-Kon" They seem to be made from some sort of indestructable tool steel, I have cut hardened steel wire with them in the past.

Anyway, I also recommend picking up a pair in this pattern if a person is in need of crimpers or cutters.
I have been using both of these from "about the time wire was invented"

For a non ratcheting standby crimper... They simply don't get better than these two... Absolutely solid and effective...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:41   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Got a Channel Lock plier type crimper after too many frustrating bad crimps with a ratcheting crimper. The simple tool simply works especially when doing boat yoga in some nearly inaccessible part of the boat. Sold the ratchet crimpers.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:11   #9

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

My personal 30yrs experience says to use the portion of Klein style crimpers that is labelled "uninsulated" both on insulated & uninsulated terminals(red,blue,yellow).
The staking point makes a connection that will not pull apart.Make sure the stake goes in on opposite side of the split,& yes,it will make a hole in plastic sleeve,but the metal is so deep in the that it is not a problem.
I've seen too many,sometimes new from factory, flat crimps pull apart.
You can do a flat crimp afterwards,for looks.
OK-my umbrella is up-let-er fly. Cheers/ Len
Old 02-01-2015, 11:16   #10

Quote:
About a decade ago I got myself a racheting wire crimperAttachment 94683 similar to this one. At close to $80, I was happy to get perfect wire crimps every time. Well, almost every time. Sometimes it would lock up, for example if the connecter was not perfectly matched, and I would be jamming a screwdriver into the release lever. However, last month I was out of town on a project and did not have my super crimper with me. While roaming the halls of the local home improvement store, I inquired where I could find their wire crimpers. The salesperson said that he was a professional and in his opinion the Klein Tools crimper was much better.

Attachment 94684

It has a wire cutter at the end, and two crimp positions: one for insulated terminals and one for non-insulated terminals. I bought it, for about one-third of the price of the racheting crimper. And it was faster, easier and performed perfectly. It was hefty enough to do the job and solidly too. I left it on that boat.
Returning home, I had to use my old standby. It was heavier and clumsier to use in close quarters. It did not work so well crimping a 14 gauge wire into one side of a 12 gauge butt connector. It would not crimp it solid. Yes, I know there are special step down butt connectors, but who can have those always on hand?

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Yep... been using that one for years. Never had a ratcheting one...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:26   #11

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Channellock Channellock 959 8 1 2 Inch Wire Stripper With Crimper NEW | eBay

I use an old Stanley crimper that is NLA.
There current model is not so handy.
The above Channellock 959 is very similar to my old Stanley-even has the machine screw cutters(very handy),& the stakon crimp(uninsulated) looks correct.
Another good feature-the crimp dies are on the tip of tool-you don't have to wrestle the handles on over the wire,for each crimp.
As I said in earlier post-I crimp red,blue,yellow terms with the Stake-the die that's labelled "uninsulated"
Old 02-01-2015, 11:34   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I have recurring nightmares about last months solar panel installation on my new davits.
To do the four panels I splashed out on a new ratcheting crimper and stretched full length over the stern of the boat reaching up to the first connection to be crimped and applying force to the crimper was not enough to release the mechanism.

Hung there in space I suddenly, if slowly, worked out that unless I could release the crimper from the connector I would be left dangling forever till my strung up body would be found, eyes pecked by sea gulls, in a day or so.

My last effort of squeezing saved my life and dignity.

Who sells this crap???

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:37   #13

The Sta Kon crimper is a Thomas and Betts. For the money they are better steel than the Klein and the Klein is a knock-off of the other anyway. I like Klein for a lot of things but they are not the only tool company that makes great electrical tools. For really good crimps in a variety of sizes and conditions have two tools, one for uninsulated dimple crimps and one for insulated ones.

I don’t recommend using the dimple crimp on insulated connectors for it will break the insulation every time, but in my humble opinion the dimple crimp is far stronger and easier to get right with a non calibrated tool. For marine use I use all bare (uninsulated)connectors and then cover with Scotch Kote and heat shrink. A much neater connection and allows for a simple system of color coding the terminations. Since it lasts forever the little extra time to do it right is not relevant to me.

Use one for a while and you will grow to love a real quality tool.

Um saudade
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:48   #14
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

^^ Not nearly the leverage off the Kline or ratchet crimpers, making for less reliable crimps. I've thrown that sort in the trash. Look at the length of the lever arms.

While the crimps will look pretty good, I doubt they'll hold up to salt water quite the same. I made 250 crimps for a heated salt spray chamber test a few years ago; not a single failure or resistance increase in 2 years of continuous torture. Some of the wires and fittings were looking very corroded, but the crimps were still fused solid. Ratchet crimpers must be adjusted to the fittings used, but when properly fitted yield several times the pressure than the combo sort. They are also more repeatable, which is why they are required under virtually all manufacturing specifications. While the Kline type can do a good job in very strong hands, there is less certainty.
Old 02-01-2015, 14:13   #15

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
...who can have those always on hand?...
This is why you are having trouble. Use the proper connector. And don't accept a 1/2-way job, butt-spliced together, unless it for a temporary emergency repair.

The ratcheting crimper does a far superior job crimping insulated terminals.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote