Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2019, 13:05   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico
No more Perko for me - Bad customer service

I probably have ten Perko items on my boat and always have. I have Perko Strainers, Lights, Electrical switches etc. But no more!

Recently, on my way out for an offshore trip, I had a Perko On/Off switch fail that I had replaced in 2016. It was no big cost at all, maybe $40 or less, but inconvenient and I was really frustrated that it had failed so soon. I had written on the item with a sharpie the date I put the new one in.

I told a friend who is an electrician about it. His response was, "yeah, I'd send that back to them and they'll replace it. That shouldn't happen." It's a hassle to find a box and pay for shipping, but I decided to do it and wrote a short note that it had failed and I couldn't figure out why. I was hoping I could help them with feedback from a loyal customer, and that they might help me understand what might make this switch fail.

I didn't hear anything and had forgotten about it, but this week I received the broken switch with my sharpie writing on the back, and the following letter from Perko.

They (Gail Mally - Inside Sales Department) went to all the trouble to box the switch back up and ship it to me with a one line letter. It was unhelpful, and unless lightning struck it shouldn't overload enough to "melt the terminal." It took 2 months for them to even send it back. This is not the kind of company I will deal with. They are in a competitive field - Think Blue Sea, Marinco etc.

I am posting this as an example of very bad customer service, and not to encourage theories as to why it failed. It is rated for >300 amps and shouldn't fail. It's a $40 item and I replaced it and also bought a Blue Sea switch for my next replacement. Hopefully that is years from now.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 14:43   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: No more Perko for me - Bad customer service

What caused it to fail?

That 300W "rating" may have been for peak transients only.

Blue Sea sells great switches, but at many different ampacity ratings, so you want to ensure you are keeping within the ratings **including the time component**, or it may happen again.

Yes they could have handled it with better grace, but it is best with any company, to contact them before just sending a failed unit back, get them to authorize the return, maybe issue a RMA number.

Note that BEP, Marinco Ancor, Promariner, Mastervolt and Blue Sea are all divisions of the one MNC now.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 15:10   #3

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

It could have failed due to a poor connection to the switch. High amps with a higher than low resistance creates heat.

That name sounds familiar, she refused to help me with a question about VPR fuel tank gas caps, claimed what I was doing was dangerous and she was not going to give out any information because the boat did not originally come equipped that way. She assumed I was an idiot fool, of course I am not. I learned all I needed to know but not from Perko.

But I dont care what she said, I eventually bought the Perko fuel tank vented fuel fill and the VPR cap, and the Atwood fuel demand valve. And the Perko anti-well back valve and installed everything and it is all good. But you cant count on Perko to tell you anything or give support or give you a break.

The whole fiasco with Perko happened when I email them about some Perko part numbers that West Marine was clearanced out.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 16:50   #4
cruiser

3rd generation family owner passed on a year ago. . .
Old 21-08-2019, 17:44   #5
KTP

If you use a switch like that to turn on loads that have a high input capacitance, such as a big inverter, it can damage the contacts, which might be enough to add resistance to them and cause them to overheat on a continuous current rating that otherwise would be ok. I don't know if the blame there is on the user, the inverter maker or the switch.
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 06:11   #6

Boat: Cabo Rico

I appreciate all of the unsolicited electrical advice I received, as expected, but those responses missed the point. This was poor customer support by Perko, full stop. They responded to a genuine customer inquiry on a failed $40 switch with no reply, and a return of the failed (defective?) part 2 months later with a cursory one line blame of the customer. There are choices, and again, I am a former consumer of Perko products, not a competitor.

I don't know who Gail Mally in "Inside Sales" is, but she is doing Perko no favors. So again, I know all of the reasons a switch might fail etc but Perko Customer Service was the worst I have ever seen in the marine industry.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 06:41   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Unfortunately, Perko makes a lot of stuff, especially hardware. Sometimes there is no choice but to replace what broke with Perko again.

I wish they would eliminate their line of chrome plated zinc garbage that unsuspecting mariners buy.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 13:42   #8

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Unfortunately, Perko makes a lot of stuff, especially hardware. Sometimes there is no choice but to replace what broke with Perko again.

I wish they would eliminate their line of chrome plated zinc garbage that unsuspecting mariners buy.
Yes, and when will boat manufacturers stop installing that "chrome plated zinc garbage" as OEM equipment? How much more, in terms of the original investment, could it possibly cost? Not nearly as much as multiple replacements over the duration of ones ownership.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 13:57   #9

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
....I don't know who Gail Mally in "Inside Sales" is, but she is doing Perko no favors. So again, I know all of the reasons a switch might fail etc but Perko Customer Service was the worst I have ever seen in the marine industry.
If the issue is up your nose as it seems to be, I would have some fun finding out who is the big boss at Perko and write to him with a link to this thread.
Sometimes in companies that have the market wrapped up, you find rusted on barnacles that operate their own show venting on unsuspected customers thir own small minded mediocrity.

Or that is the general culture in the firm in which case you will go nowhere if the boss agrees that customers are all morons, want to scam something off them and are to be treated with contempt.

Or start posting reviews on related websites like BBB

https://www.bbb.org/us/fl/miami/prof...-0633-90091352

Process of Complaints & Reviews
Your consumer experiences matter to Better Business Bureau, other consumers and businesses! Consumers have told us that additional information such as complaints and reviews from other customers helps them choose a trustworthy business.

BBB makes it easy for people to file complaints. BBB handles complaints regarding any business, whether or not the business is a BBB Accredited Business. BBB also accepts complaints against charities and non-profit organizations. BBB primarily handles complaints relating to marketplace transactions for customers who want a resolution, such as a refund, a repair, or a replacement. This process is free to consumers and businesses. Read more about how complaints are handled here.

BBB customer reviews allow customers to rate their marketplace experiences with businesses using a star scale. Just like our complaints, reviews are sent to the business before they are published online. Consumers, upon request of BBB and businesses, must be able to provide substantiation of the marketplace interactions. Read more about the review process here.
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 17:43   #10
KTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
I appreciate all of the unsolicited electrical advice I received, as expected, but those responses missed the point.
Well technically you sort of did solicit advice since you described not knowing why the switch failed, so those of us who know about these things gave some reasons why it may have been user error and not Perko's fault.

I will agree that they should have been "Costco like" and just sent you a new switch along with a document describing correct switch installation practices. You probably got someone having a bad day.
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 18:42   #11

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTP View Post
I will agree that they should have been "Costco like" and just sent you a new switch along with a document describing correct switch installation practices. You probably got someone having a bad day.
Folks working in customer service jobs are not permitted to have bad days. She doesn't belong there and her employer should recognize that. And if Perko is happy with her performance, shame on Perko.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 14:58   #12

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

Customer service is an art, and the key for a company to have great customer service is one only. To actually wanting it and believing it is necessary and essential to the company prosperity.

Surprisingly not many company believe that customer service is essential. Most think it is unnecessary and that a good product or a good price is all that is necessary.

I am always amazed at something that may seem small but that goes to the core of customer service. When I go to a restaurant in Sydney, and the weighter brings my food, most invariably say ... "Enjoy!" and leave.

When surely the waiter says so because she or he don't know any better, if you think about it, it is highly patronising. It implies they know better than me that I should enjoy the food or otherwise I am a moron.
The correct alternative "I hope you enjoy it" wouldn't even register.
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 15:10   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

This is really too bad; for generations Perko was top quality gear all made in the US. They moved from their factory/offices in New York to Florida but it was still a family operation with great products and service. I understand it's been sold out of the family. Does anyone know more? That would explain a lot...
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 15:26   #14

I've used Perko products for years without any problems, and will continue to do so until I do.....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 15:35   #15
cruiser

I do not think the build quality is the issue.

I think the way OP was handled could have been better, but personally do not have the same high expectations they did.

BEP, Marinco, Blue Sea certainly are standing by, but do they spend the money it takes for stellar "kid gloves" CS?

I think lower margins are squeezing that aspect in most market segments, the customers' desire for top service and lowest price are inherently mutually exclusive.

Tags
service