Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2017, 13:49   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
No joy on shore power

I just bought a Cal 27 that has been sitting on the hard for at least a year. I was working on the boat this weekend and decided to see if I could get any reaction if I plugged the boat into shore power.

The two batteries were connected and I attached the power cord but when I flipped the panel over to 110 AC nothing happened. No lights, no camera, no action.

Just happened to be another Cal 27 owner working at the boatyard. But he couldn't figure out why we weren't getting anything either. His one idea was that the batteries must be dead and the power system was wired to go through them first.

Anyone have any other explanations? I didn't have a hydrometer with me or a charger to add any juice. But I have a feeling that I have two lead anchors below the cockpit. I have the owners manual, but it's pretty shy on details for the electrical system.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 14:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: No joy on shore power

Electricity trouble shooting can usually be done pretty easily by starting at one end and working your way down the line until you find the fault.

Also, you are talking about a 12V DC system AND a 120V AC system. They do usually interface in a boat but switching on one doesn't turn on the other and the shore power IE 120V AC does NOT "go through" the batteries.

Perhaps it's just the way you're phrasing it but if what I'm saying sounds like Chinese then you need to do some basic study before jumping in.

Some simple and hopefully safe steps you can take to start.

Do you have a meter? If not, buy a decent volt meter. Don't get a $10-$15 cheapo, get something relatively decent.

First step, check voltage on the battery, right on the battery terminals, not on a cable or somewhere down the line. If you check right on the batteries and get zero then you probably need to replace the batteries to start.

Even if the batteries are dead as long as they aren't totally shorted out, if the boat has a battery charger you should be able to get lights and such in the boat when you plug in shore power. BUT, you have to have a battery charger and it has to be switched on. The battery charger should give you power to the lights even if the batteries are dead.

Assume the boat has an electrical panel with switches, breakers or fuses? There should be a breaker or switch and fuse to turn on the shore power and battery charger in the 120V side and one to turn on boat systems, lights, pumps, etc on the 12V side. Have you checked that out?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 14:19   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Shore power is AC. Did you test any AC equipment or outlets ?
Plugging into shore power will do nothing for flat batteries if there is no battery charger and maybe not even then if the batteries can't be brought up to charge.
Old 20-03-2017, 14:30   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

Pursuant to skipmac's advice to start at one end, I would confirm that the shore power plug at the pylon is working, that the cord to shore power is good, and that your AC plug on the boat is goodis good. Do you have a built in voltage meter for the AC? Is it showing power? Do you have a light on the AC breaker? I think you need to first confirm that you're actually getting power into the boat, then work forward from there.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 14:55   #5

Boat: Columbia 10.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Pursuant to skipmac's advice to start at one end, I would confirm that the shore power plug at the pylon is working, that the cord to shore power is good, and that your AC plug on the boat is goodis good. Do you have a built in voltage meter for the AC? Is it showing power? Do you have a light on the AC breaker? I think you need to first confirm that you're actually getting power into the boat, then work forward from there.
As I wrote, no joy. No lights, no sounds, nothing.

Yes the supply outlet was working. Yes the extension cord was working.

I have no idea if my shore cable was working, I didn't bring my voltmeter. But I did plug some power tools into the extension cord, so I know the power was on up to the boat.

The power panel has switches for both batteries and for 110 AC. I assumed the interior lighting would function when connected to shore power. There are 110 outlets inside the boat, but I didn't think to try them. The power panel remained dark, so I just assumed there was no power. I won't be able to test anything else until next week.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 15:08   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Is there a battery charger installed and is it putting out ?
Old 20-03-2017, 15:38   #7

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Is there a battery charger installed and is it putting out ?

Keeping in mind also that lots of newer chargers will not charge dead batteries.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 08:28   #8

Boat: Pearson 10M

bigjim, do you have an electrically knowledgeable friend who would be willing to check things out with you?
Your assumption about the cabin lights working on 120v is naive, please find some experienced help or read a couple of good books on boats and electricity.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 08:41   #9

most boat lights are dc try the outlets look at where you plugged into the boat on the backside
roberthowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 08:44   #10

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

After reading your second post...

you need to determine the state of your batteries, but if the switches are right they're probably dead.

if you've got a battery charger, you need to see if you can turn it on and see if it will do anything with your batteries. Providing AC is one part, the next step is turning it on, usually there's a breaker for it on a AC panel.

Borrow a multimeter from somebody or bring your own, will make testing a lot easier.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 08:55   #11

Typically all (or at least most) lighting, radios, etc on a boat are powered from 12VDC (or 24 in some cases). Connecting to shore power (120VAC in the states) will supply AC power to any receptacles, battery charger, air conditioning that may be installed on the boat. If your batteries are dead-which seems likely-then you will have no lights even with shore power. There will also be an AC panel and a separate DC panel, each with their own set of breakers. If you have dual batteries there is likely a battery switch. All of these items can be contributing factors to your issue.
Please don't start poking around unless you know what are you doing. People can and do get hurt even with low voltage (trust me).

Licensed Professional Engineer in electrical power and control systems.
TRM-MYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 09:00   #12

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

if flipped the panel to AC means you turned on the AC breaker and did not get an indicator light your boat is not getting power. If you checked that the dock power was turned on and your cord is ok the likely suspect is the receptacle on the boat next being the wiring to the breaker panel. If your marina is like mine the 110 house type receptacle at the dock is always on and the 3 prong cord receptacle is switched. It might be as simple as checking that.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 09:16   #13

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

As my dad used to say "Divide and conquer" He was my inspiration to become an electronic engineer. The route in is (in your case) 120V to a charger 12v to the batteries to the equipment. See if your charger gives out a voltage (12v or 24v) if it does then look forward to your bateries and distribution. If it doesnt then go back and check all the way back to the source of the 120V. Have a look at Electrics afloat by Alastair Garrod its a Dorling Kindersley explanation of power onboard.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 09:45   #14
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
I just bought a Cal 27 that has been sitting on the hard for at least a year. I was working on the boat this weekend and decided to see if I could get any reaction if I plugged the boat into shore power.

The two batteries were connected and I attached the power cord but when I flipped the panel over to 110 AC nothing happened. No lights, no camera, no action.

Just happened to be another Cal 27 owner working at the boatyard. But he couldn't figure out why we weren't getting anything either. His one idea was that the batteries must be dead and the power system was wired to go through them first.

Anyone have any other explanations? I didn't have a hydrometer with me or a charger to add any juice. But I have a feeling that I have two lead anchors below the cockpit. I have the owners manual, but it's pretty shy on details for the electrical system.
It seems you have limited knowledge of marine electrical systems.

My best advice is, "STOP THIS INSTANT!"

I am a professional marine service provider and would never attempt to troubleshoot a marine electrical system over the internet (or phone) sight unseen, nor try to instruct a newbie how to do it, as they could easily hurt themselves or burn down the marina.

I conduct marine electrical system seminars for yacht clubs and retailers.

The first lesson of a 4 hour session, is that "You will not be a vessel electrical system expert after this seminar". This session will give you a very rudimentary understanding of the systems on board. After this session, if you have not undertaken to learn marine electrical standards, and develop sound wiring skills and practices, do not attempt to alter your electrical systems in any way." (We do cover how to safely disconnect / reconnect shore power and batteries.)

For an old boat of unknown condition, I recommend a thorough vessel electrical system inspection, "BEFORE" applying shore power or connecting batteries, to assure it is safe to do so.

If you don't know how to inspect a marine electrical system thoroughly, find a friend with a lot of boating experience and very solid knowledge of marine electrical systems to help you.

(Beware, many who think they are knowledgeable in marine electrical systems, most certainly are not.)
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 09:54   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ok so you turned on the 110 at your boat's end of cord.
did you turn the shore based end first??
did you twist lock your plugs, both ends??
did you test both systems, the shore based one and your boat???
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shore power