Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2009, 19:17   #1

Boat: Passport 40
Nigel Calder

Does anyone know if Nigel Calder frequents any message boards, or does anyone have any contact information for him? We're considering buying some of the (fairly) new Odyssey Thin Plate Pure Lead batteries, and I'm curious how his experience has been thus far. I'm also interested in finding out if our generator driven Xantrex charger will be OK to dump power into them since their acceptance rate is so high.

Chris
s/v/ Pelican
s/v Pelican - Following A Dream
Labatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 19:47   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labatt View Post
Does anyone know if Nigel Calder frequents any message boards, or does anyone have any contact information for him? We're considering buying some of the (fairly) new Odyssey Thin Plate Pure Lead batteries, and I'm curious how his experience has been thus far. I'm also interested in finding out if our generator driven Xantrex charger will be OK to dump power into them since their acceptance rate is so high.

Chris
s/v/ Pelican
s/v Pelican - Following A Dream
He's a contributing editor for Ocean Navigator Magazine. I tried asking him a question about his book by emailing him at Ocean Navigator's address, but I did not get a response. I did verify that the email was forwarded to him by Ocean Navigator. I have no idea if responds to anyone by that path or whether my question was not worthy.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 19:48   #3

I once contacted him through SSCA, but I don't have his email address any more, nor am I any longer an SSCA member.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 02:52   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Nigel Calder does nothing for nothing.

However:
In this blog, I (Calder) will provide regular updates on how we are doing, and how the new technologies are working out. I also will be writing articles for Professional Boatbuilder magazine (Professional BoatBuilder Magazine), Yachting Monthly (Yachting Monthly online | sailing news, blogs, gear reviews and weather), Sail magazine (Sail Magazine home page), Ocean Navigator (Ocean Navigator: The magazine for long-distance offshore sailing and power voyaging), and others. The finished boat will be on display at Malo’s ‘Open House’ in August 2008.

Blog

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 07:22   #5

Boat: Passport 40
Thanks Gord and everyone else! I'll check out the site. I find it surprising that he's so hard to get a hold of.
Labatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 17:58   #6

There is no doubt in my mind that Nigel Calder is an expert in many fields but I do not think he reviews and compares products. As Gord points out, Nigel does nothing for nothing and I suspect that he is compensated by the manufacturers of the products he works with and writes about. Consequently, if there are shortcomings in a product he's been given, I doubt very much he's going to say anything negative publicly. He's not going to bite the hand that's been feeding him so I doubt Nigel will give much of a critical review of the Odyssey batteries.

That said, Nigel is primarily using the batteries in a propulsion system. I suspect that charge acceptance rate is much more critical than robustness to deep discharges - so they may work grand in that application. The only deep discharge "data" I have seen is the statement that they will withstand up to 400 cycles to 80% depth of discharge. That might be excellent but I would like to see their performance at 50% DOD or, even better, a plot of cycles vs %DOD. But I must admit, their charge acceptance rate is awesome and opens up some possibilities if they can withstand the discharge rigors of cruisers.

---Dave
wallandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 14:32   #7

Dave,

This is Matt Koenig, VP Americas For Corvus Energy. Our LIPO modules produce 200-300,000 cycles in a 30-70 % depth of discharge band. I was at Nigel's seminar at IBEX.

Please email me if you or any of the other registrants have questions or want more details

Matt Koenig
mwk4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 21:55   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Hey Matt, welcome to the forum, and thanks for the informative response to the thread.
Hope we'll be seeing more of you.
Nothing like getting tech info from the "horses mouth".
Cheers
James S is offline   Reply With Quote