Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2014, 07:27   #1

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
NextGen generator output

So I finally got my hands on a scope and put it on our generator output. We have a NextGen 5.5kw, which is a small high-rpm, 2-pole generator using a Kubota engine and Markon generator head that is voltage regulated with a capacitor on the excitation winding.

I always knew the output of these generator heads was dirty, and now I know how much. The following graphs are:
1. Generator waveform with no loads
2. Waveform with 15A resistive load (waterheater)
3. Generator with 15A inductive load (air conditioner)
4. Generator with the 120A heavy transformer-based battery charger that draws 15A

The battery charger cleans up the waveform the best, which I don't understand because it should be an inductive load with a relatively poor power factor.

The manufacturer admits that these are dirty generator heads and tells me that these results are not abnormal.

Please note that everything on board works just fine with this power, although the power drawn is a bit more than on shorepower because of the lower peak voltage of the generator.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	No Load.png
Views:	209
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	82019   Click image for larger version

Name:	15A Resistive water heater.png
Views:	216
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	82020  

Click image for larger version

Name:	15A Inductive AC.png
Views:	215
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	82021   Click image for larger version

Name:	15A Battery Charger.png
Views:	198
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	82022  

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 07:36   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: NextGen generator output

Interesting.

On my 3.5 KW NextGen which I think has the same Markon gen head, the ammeter needle will bounce an amp or so either side of 12 amps when it is just running the Freedom Charger. It smooths out when I add the water heater load.

Presumably it isn't hurting anything, right?

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 07:43   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Presumably. NextGen says it is normal operation. Our Victron system monitor also shows the voltage and amperage moving around average values by a few volts/amps. The frequency stays pretty constant, though.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 01:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
1. Generator waveform with no loads
2. Waveform with 15A resistive load (waterheater)
3. Generator with 15A inductive load (air conditioner)
4. Generator with the 120A heavy transformer-based battery charger that draws 15A

The battery charger cleans up the waveform the best, which I don't understand because it should be an inductive load with a relatively poor power factor.
I guess that there is no point in achieving a perfect sine curve on a no load situation. Who will run a generator in a no load situation for any length of time?
That type of alternator is cheap and if it requires compromising, it would be normal to tune it for the most common type of load.
4 give the best result. Now if it is for you to find the power factor of that load.
3 air conditioner. It is to be remembered that induction motor power factor is at is best when the motor is fully loaded. For a heat pump it is normally at the start of the cooling cycle and for the fan it is at Full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
On my 3.5 KW NextGen which I think has the same Markon gen head,
the ammeter needle will bounce an amp or so either side of 12 amps when it is just running the Freedom Charger. It smooths out when I add the water heater load.
The freedom charger may produce a fluctuating load that the water heater smooth out. Also the power factor may move toward unity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The frequency stays pretty constant, though.
Pretty. What that? 0.1, 1, 2 Hz
chala is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator