Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-11-2015, 03:35   #31

Re: Next Gen 5.5 kW genset review

There is always this guy... Aquamarine, Inc -

Old 09-11-2015, 20:27   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The pump is driven with an electric motor using the AC output of the generator.

Again, if you are overdoing the watermaker, you must overdo the generator to run it. There is no free lunch.

The NextGen 5.5 does not seem to fit the bill here.

Mark

With all due respect, it seems to fit my bill:

1. The Next Gen 5.5 makes sufficient 240V power for my needs
2. When batteries are in asorb phase the 10 HP engine will be able to drive the 2.58 HP watermaker pump. Or charged batteries, but making water and enjoying aircon etc....
3. Fits through the 18" access hole where it needs to go
4. Will run my aircon(s)
5. The duty cycle suits my needs for battery charging and daily running of the watermaker

Your point seems to be that the watermaker is too large. As the watermaker pump is engine driven, one can have a higher output using a smallish generator. I could not have this output with an electric driven pump.
I do not see how with a bit of load management a 2.58 HP watermaker will overload the genset.

As I said earlier I think that it will be more like 60+ USG/Hr in my tropical waters using the 4 x 40" membrane. 4 water hogs will use 60 USG/Day easily and the two of us at 2 showers/day in the tropics could use it if it was available.
This large single membrane is cheaper than 2 smaller membranes, as is the engine driven pump VS electric drive.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:45   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
I do not see how with a bit of load management a 2.58 HP watermaker will overload the genset.
I was just going by your several postings that you and NextGen could not figure out how to either run a sufficiently large electric motor, nor mount an engine-driven pump to it.

So it seems to me that this is not a suitable generator for your needs.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 19:48   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I was just going by your several postings that you and NextGen could not figure out how to either run a sufficiently large electric motor, nor mount an engine-driven pump to it.

So it seems to me that this is not a suitable generator for your needs.

Mark

Mark - sorry I misunderstood your point, and mentioned Nov 7 that I had a pulley now figured out.

To clarify for others thinking of this:

Electric motor drive is easy but the Next Gen 5.5 does not have sufficient amperage to handle the start in-rush current on a 3 HP motor. Direct drive or a lower HP electric motor is the only way if one is to use this genset

I have found that Kubota makes 2 front pulleys for this engine. The standard Kubota PN 16851 is the one that Next Gen uses, and there is another with an integral gear belt. I have the drawing for 16851-74282

I could not find a 12V clutch for the Kubota gear belt pulley and the only one I can find has a 7" A belt pulley. Available in single or double sheave - single will work for the pump I am using at 900 psi max output.
Gearing is important to turn the General watermaker pump at 1750 RPM and an engine speed of 2800 RPM dictates a 107mm (4.375") engine pulley.

I never did find out the diameter of the Kubota gear belt pulley, and gave up when I could not find a suitable clutch. IF the diameter(s) is correct, one could always slip the belt on and off using a spring tensioner as suggested by another member, but I wanted it easy while the engine was already running

I have now designed such a pulley for the Kubota 16851 front engine pulley. If anyone wants one I can get more machined now at reasonable cost here in Thailand, or will email you the drawing. This is off to the machine shop today or tomorrow so speak up now

Will post the part numbers on how to do all this later c/w drawing of the pulley
Old 10-11-2015, 22:55   #35

While a single belt will work, I have now decided for a dual sheave pulley and too late to edit my post
Old 03-01-2016, 11:32   #36

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
We have the 3.5 and during our last cruise put 1,000 hours on it. Other than the water pump giving up the ghost, it's a Johnson, no issues whatsoever and it runs everything on the boat. You can read about our install here, The Trawler Beach House: Do-It-Yourself Generator Install . Chuck

Would like to see the instal detail but the link won't work. 😟
Old 03-01-2016, 11:42   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

RKsailsolo, The link works fine for me. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:49   #38

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Chuck, apologies as it was on my end. Great resource. Thx
Old 03-01-2016, 13:19   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

No problem. Glad it's working for you. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:47   #40

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Like I tell myself, my wife, and my tech reps, when I was working. When all else fails read the manual.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:13   #41

The Nex Gen 5.5 manual is worse than useless:

The pics and description do not reflect what I have

There are errors in both the instruction and part numbers

There is no manual on the electrical end. Inexcusable as next Gen buys this from another vendor and presumably it comes with a manual or at least one is available.

There is no schematic

My complaints to Next Gen and the dealer are met with silence other than there is nothing else available and live with it

Terrible support and impossible for me to maintain this equipment is foreign far away places or when Next Gen is no longer around
Old 07-07-2016, 09:49   #42

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
The Nex Gen 5.5 manual is worse than useless:

The pics and description do not reflect what I have

There are errors in both the instruction and part numbers

There is no manual on the electrical end. Inexcusable as next Gen buys this from another vendor and presumably it comes with a manual or at least one is available.

There is no schematic

My complaints to Next Gen and the dealer are met with silence other than there is nothing else available and live with it

Terrible support and impossible for me to maintain this equipment is foreign far away places or when Next Gen is no longer around
My error! With recommendations like that if they are still around not for long. Can you get a no. of the engine and contact them. I would guess that not the gen. dictates a duty cycle.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:04   #43

I owned an engineering company in my past life and know first hand what an expensive PITA maintaining proper documentation can be.
It is however a necessity

I have contacted Next Gen and they told me that is all there is.
Bloody useless and I hope that they see this thread and provide proper documentation
Old 07-07-2016, 10:13   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've never had problems with them, there is not a schematic of the generator, but I didn't get one from Yanmar when I bought the boat either, so I think that is common, they are available though from the generator manufacturer of course, same for the Kubota engine, I didn't get a full set of parts and maintenance manuals for it either, but I can from Kubota.
Your wanting to use the generator in a manner that it was not intended for, very few if any manufacturers will sign up for that.

The few times I've called Nexgen, someone who knows what they are talking about technically answers, I don't get put on hold, told to call back later, he's not in today or none of that, I get answers. Every time I have asked I get manufacturers part numbers for parts so I can order them direct, none of the proprietary you have to buy the parts from us crap, and I appreciate that, with the correct part number I can shop around and sometimes find it locally.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:00   #45

There is no schematic for the NexGen manufactured Kubota to alternator integration, and NexGen needs to provide one c/w part numbers.

I bought the Kubota shop and parts manual

NexGen did provide the Kubota Owners manual and they should do the same with the electrical end. I do not even know what this alternator end is so that I could even buy a manual.

There is no excuse for part number errors or that the pics in the NexGen genset manual and electrical description have no relationship to what I bought

The fact that I have an accessory bolted to the Kubota has no bearing on the lack of an instruction manual and errors and omissions in the one provided

All fine to be able to phone for support, but a wee bit difficult half way around the world in the middle of nowhere with no phone or internet. Proper documentation is a necessity

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: