Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 20:13   #31

Boat: Corbin 39
Re: Newbie needing replacement charger advice

One thing I really like about the newer promariner and sterling chargers is that in float mode they act as a power supply and only increase the voltage once a month to keep the batteries topped with off without cooking them. Newmars don't have this feature.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 00:09   #32

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

I just replaced my Freedom 10 (Heart Interface,pre Xantrex) with a Freedom 25 as I increased the size of my house batt. bank. I'd sell the F 10 (inverter 1000watt/charger 50 amp) $300 +shipping. It's a v. robust unit,unfortunately the company was sold to Xantrex who continued to use the Freedom name,but the quality went downhill - see threads in this forum for info .
Old 10-01-2017, 18:32   #33

Boat: 1993 Catalina 34

Thanks to everyone who replied to my original question. I learn a great deal from these posts and am always amazed to see how the questions spurs wide ranging discussion. I have purchased a Sterling ProCharge Ultra.
daviddiscenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 19:54   #34
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I like the "echo charger" concept built into a good inverter, but in looking at the Xantrex Freedom HF user manuals, they imply the charging function is only available on shore power? not when the primary bank is being charged by the alternator?

That seems very strange to me, I was hoping it would be just based on voltage sense.

The Sterling battery-to-battery units look great, love the customization options, just way too spendy for me.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 22:43   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
.....but in looking at the Xantrex Freedom HF user manuals, they imply the charging function is only available on shore power? not when the primary bank is being charged by the alternator?

That seems very strange to me, I was hoping it would be just based on voltage sense.
The Echo is fed by the AC charger section - this is not available when not on shore power.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 07:06   #36
cruiser

So really more like a built-in AC-to-DC charger, rather than anything to do with the traditional standalone ex-Heart EC.

So I guess I'm looking for an (ideally customizable) "DC-to-DC converter/charger", multiple charge sources but all directly feeding the main bank, so could be one-way rather than dual-sense.

I know about:

Sterling/Promariner

Viktron

CTEK

Mastervolt

Any others makers I should look at?

Separate issue, but would *anything* step-up/top up the (small) target bank just based on voltage thresholds even if there were little or no charge source incoming? I'd even be willing to DIY something manual, but obviously programmable automated would be best.
Old 17-01-2017, 07:13   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Anything but Xantrex !
Old 17-01-2017, 09:12   #38
cruiser

Yes I found an excellent authorized service shop, the guy tells me "Good products, but Xantrex considers their consumer lines (<$1000s) to basically be throwaway units, it's usually not worth paying to try to get something fixed once the warrantee's over."

Tags
charger, men