Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2014, 12:05   #1

Boat: Corbin 39
New two-inlet AC distribution panel - sanity check?

Hello all -

I am rebuilding my AC distribution to prepare for another cold winter on the water in Toronto. We need to run two agitators, plus heating for the house. I plan to use two 30A shore power feeds and run them into a new BlueSea 360 panel. Details below, I would appreciate some feedback whether this looks like a good solution.

(Labels not finalized)

The panel will service the "winter branch" on the left side, the default branch on the right side.

On the left, top to bottom, a rotary switch selects power either from shore, or the right hand branch. Power passes through an ammeter through an ELCI to four 15A breakers. Each of these breakers will service one dual outlet GFCI receptacle: engine room (for a block heater), two in the cockpit (in weatherproof, in use boxes) one each for each agitator or other outdoor power needs, one outlet is on the panel itself.

On the right hand, top to bottom, a rotary switch selects power input from shore or inverter, and one extra position could be hooked up to a genset if I ever would install one. Ammeter, then ELCI plus main breaker. I plan to feed the left hand branch from below the main breaker. Finally, breakers for nav. station, pilothouse-galley light resp. outlets (2), cabin lights resp. outlets (2).

Separating light and outlets seems the right thing, because when a load trips the breaker, you still have light to see what you're doing. One thing I was wondering about was whether to use a weaker fuse (5 or 10 A) on the light circuits, or just go with 15 because it won't matter in practice?

Does this setup make sense?
Thanks for feedback!
Cheers,
Crow
Old 13-10-2014, 13:45   #2

Re: New two-inlet AC distribution panel - sanity check?

Looks good to me. Surprised you have ac lights

Where is your battery charger?

You should be able to replace the left side gen 1 label with "transfer". This is normally how it's labeled when sharing off a single dock plug.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 18:35   #3

Boat: Corbin 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
Looks good to me. Surprised you have ac lights
Good point. I have AC lights now but that's just temporary because I threw out the original, corroded incandescent DC lights and fixtures. I was going to replace them with LED - but of course once that is done I don't need AC lights at all. So no point wiring up separate circuits for them. Will change.

Quote:
Where is your battery charger?
Oops.

It's a ProTech1210i, nominally drawing 10A. Should I use a 10A breaker?

Quote:
You should be able to replace the left side gen 1 label with "transfer". This is normally how it's labeled when sharing off a single dock plug.
Thanks, I didn't know that.

Thanks for your input. Very helpful.
Crow
Old 14-10-2014, 16:10   #4

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

Hello Crow,

Just one micro-note: your Pro Tech 1210i makes 12 volts at 10 amps, but I doubt it draws more than 2 amps at 120 VAC at the input (probably closer to 1 amp) You could use a 5 amp breaker and be just fine, though it might limit you if you decided to get a bigger charger someday.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib