Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2019, 19:10   #1

New to charging and shore power..

So, a rookie question. Try not to beat me up too much.

Boat: 2009 Beneteau 40 sailboat

I have a constant beeping going on when I have my magnum energy charger on float charge. To be specific, the main boat console has an annoying beeping sound when I turn on the charger. I have had the damndest time finding out why. My theory is that the batteries are full (new boat to me) and this is the overcharge warning signal. Can anyone confirm? Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190218_132304.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	186219   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190218_132247.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	186220  

regex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 00:16   #2

Re: New to charging and shore power..

Looks like the panel is showing 15v. So might be a high voltage alarm. The magnum floating should be around 13.5v. You have an issue somewhere. The issue is more likly under absorb then float. So really weird if only floating.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 11:01   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

You should learn to determine when your bank is at 100% Full

using a decent ammeter

independent of any charge source or built-in meter on the boat.

Those latter need regular adjustment to changing conditions and/or calibration as their accuracy drifts.

Usually too-early a Float transition, chronic undercharging is the more common problem.

But in your case that 15V needs investigating, can damage sensitive electronics.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 20:18   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

You may be in an equalizing mode. Might wish to investigate programming for 3 stage or 2 stage charging. Hope this helps.
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 20:57   #5
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by regex View Post
So, a rookie question. Try not to beat me up too much.

Boat: 2009 Beneteau 40 sailboat

I have a constant beeping going on when I have my magnum energy charger on float charge. To be specific, the main boat console has an annoying beeping sound when I turn on the charger. I have had the damndest time finding out why. My theory is that the batteries are full (new boat to me) and this is the overcharge warning signal. Can anyone confirm? Pics attached.
The panel battery monitor is beeping an alarm because the battery voltage is too high (or at least it thinks it is).

My suspicion is that the panel meter is reading one bank, and the inverter/charger is reading another.

So the first thing to do, is get out a DVM (digital voltmeter) and measure the voltage at the actual battery terminals, to determine what each battery is really at.

If you do have a battery at 15 Vdc, and it is not just a temporary equalization charge, you do have a charging problem and need to sort it out before the battery is fried.

If you have any additional charging sources, ensure they are off (ie, another shore power charger, solar, wind, alternator, etc.)

If the voltage slowly decreases to normal fully charged resting (12.8 Vdc) then turn on each charger in turn to see which one is driving up to 15.0 Vdc and focus on that one.

If you only have the one charging system operating, and the panel meter is reading 15 Vdc, but no battery is 15 Vdc by separate DVM measurement, then the problem is in the panel battery monitor.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, shore power