Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2016, 20:31   #1

Boat: Shopping
New Tesla Powerwall 2.0

14kwh for $5,500.00, including inverter. 7kw peak, 5kw continuous. 10 year warranty. 110kg.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 22:38   #2

Boat: Landlocked right now.
Re: New Tesla Powerwall 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
14kwh for $5,500.00, including inverter. 7kw peak, 5kw continuous. 10 year warranty. 110kg.
Tesla does not certify it's the PowerWall for marine environments because the battery chemistry used in the Tesla PowerWall (Li-ion NCA or NMC) is not safe for marine applications. I guess installing a PowerWall on your boat would not only void your insurance, it would also carry a real risk of setting your boat on fire.
Old 29-10-2016, 00:20   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I was wondering about that too. These days I am starting to eye my little smartphone and storage bank with suspicion!
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 03:16   #4

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Tesla does not certify it's the PowerWall for marine environments because the battery chemistry used in the Tesla PowerWall (Li-ion NCA or NMC) is not safe for marine applications. I guess installing a PowerWall on your boat would not only void your insurance, it would also carry a real risk of setting your boat on fire.
That bites cause I'm getting ready to outfit my boat and at first to sounded promising.

Dang it, back to the drawing board.
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 04:08   #5

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mike View Post
That bites cause I'm getting ready to outfit my boat and at first to sounded promising.

Dang it, back to the drawing board.
Been there, I know how that feels. I had long discussions with Tesla. They told me I would lose the warranty (not to mention liability issues) if I would install it on a yacht. The internal cooling system is designed to work when the PowerWall is mounted vertically on a non moving outside surface. Not so good in the engine room of a moving boat.
Old 29-10-2016, 05:05   #6

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Tesla is not the only Lithium battery system on the market, we have installed a Sonnen system that utilizes Sony batteries and is very nice.

For boats, I have a source for custom built Lithium battery systems which I can supply and install if you are in St. Martin. If anyone wants one for their boat, let me know, we are looking at being in St. Martin during December.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 14:24   #7

Boat: LAGOON 440 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
Tesla is not the only Lithium battery system on the market, we have installed a Sonnen system that utilizes Sony batteries and is very nice.

For boats, I have a source for custom built Lithium battery systems which I can supply and install if you are in St. Martin. If anyone wants one for their boat, let me know, we are looking at being in St. Martin during December.
Just saw your post, I am slipping my Lagoon 440 at Bobby's Megayard in SXM this week and I am looking at installing Li Ion batteries, can you recommend anyone to me. Thanks.....Jeff
JeffBurnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:33   #8

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBurnes View Post
Just saw your post, I am slipping my Lagoon 440 at Bobby's Megayard in SXM this week and I am looking at installing Li Ion batteries, can you recommend anyone to me. Thanks.....Jeff

My battery supplier in China is offering me Lithium solutions but I am reticent to offer them until I put one in my own boat.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote