Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2008, 18:48   #16

The Blue Seas 360's are available from Defender who will ship anywhere. The Blue Seas stuff is very robust and attractive and comes with a slew of labels which are neat and sharp looking and back lit too! They're easy to wire up and install in any panel condition. I like em!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 18:52   #17

Boat: Westsail 32
Bob,

Re rewired our boat:

Asia Marie - Rewiring

I had a custom electrical panel made by:

Mobile Marine Electronics
Mobile Marine Electrical Services - Custom Boat Electrical Panels

For wire and all other electrical needs, I suggest you get a wholesale account with Pacer Marine. They manufacture very high quality marine wire, terminals, and sell Blue Seas System things for very good prices. For example, a 50' spool of 1/0AWG wire cost $192. WM is ~$500. 100 heat-shrink ring terminals are $15.

Pacer Marine

As for the bilge pump - we had the wires go directly to a battery (w/fuse) and that was it. We put it on a charger every week.

Cheers!
Aaron N.

W32 #482 Asia Marie

blahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 21:03   #18

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Bobfnbw, Sorry, I skipped that portion of your description. What I wanted to address was that (1) if you are generating all the power you need, then go for it; (2) if you are tied up at a dock with capacious power available, ditto; (3) if you travel to another dock that has limited power(15A or 30A), it would be cool to have prioritized your circuits to allow your most basic needs to be met first, for example, battery charging, house AC circuits (coffeemaker, computer, sewing machine, etc., followed by the other stuff such as air conditioning, laser phaser array, transporter, etc.

Unless you have a powerful generator or small fusion reactor, boats are pretty limited to available electricity outside of the grid. Are you really planning on having more than 50 amps of AC on your size vessel?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 18:03   #19

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Nice panels.

Ebay I find has ok prices, if you look hard on the 'net you will find equal or less price with warrenty and free shipping.

50 amps is it. My dock has a 30 amp 120 v outlet and a 50 amp 125/240v outlet. Just my one Air conditioner with heat on, and water heater maxes out my 30 amp shore power I currently have. I plan on installing aditional 9K to 16K ac this summer, adding a ice maker and a microwave/convection oven. So 50 amps should do it.

I want to be able to run some on the inverter like outlets in galley, salon and head, and have a seperate panel for the non inverter loads like ac, water heater and ice.

I have found my system I think, but it cost 1/3 more than I planed.
http://bluesea.com/category/40/42/pr...e/overview/402

http://bluesea.com/products/1228 for a/c side

http://bluesea.com/products/1226 for d/c.

Best boat wire has pacer wire, and that was where I was going to go for it, the price is good, but I will check out pacer site.
Thanks for all your suggestions. This is a work in progress.
I intend on taking several months to do this.
The only shortcuts will be the engine panel and mast wireing. I will just splice into that for now.
These panels are also being moved from engine side to hull side. I have a large shelf in the walk thru to aft stateroom above a freezer, and that is where the new panels and 50 amp shore power will go. I am trying to make as few wires in the engine room as possible.
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 21:20   #20

Boat: Westsail 32
Bob,

I highly suggest you chat with Mark at MMES. His price was only a few bucks more than the cost of Blue Seas panels, but I didn't have to assemble them in a panel and get them all wired together. He can make a panel that fits exactly as you need with exactly what you want. Further, his expertise on wiring and electrical questions in general is worth it! His help was very valuable to us.

Also, you can get the things from Pacer for the same prices Best Boat Wire pays Pacer. If you have a business, it's a no brainer to go with Pacer.

Cheers!
Aaron N.

W32 #482 Asia Marie

blahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 01:17   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post
I highly suggest you chat with Mark at MMES...
Mobile Marine Electrical Services, Inc.
5-7 Perry Way
Newburyport, Massachusetts 01950
Tel: 978-462-0470
Fax: 978-462-2852
E-mail: yachtwire1@aol.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2008, 09:50   #22

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Gord, thanks for the numbers and email. I will talk to them prior to ordering anything.
I don't have a busness blahman, but I will call pacer this week to get a direct quote and match it against bbw.
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 18:13   #23

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfnbw View Post
My main question is wiring the hot wires across the different setups. On a 120/240v shorepower, there are 2 hots, a ground and a neutral.
The connections on 240v 50amp Marinco type connectors you refer to are coded by letter & sometimes colour. "W" (white) is the neutral. "Y" (black) & "X" (red) are the live or hot connections. Between W & Y or W & X you will get 120 volts. Between Y & X you will get 240 volts. Green is of course ground connecting to the outer shell.

Regards

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 19:12   #24

Boat: Islander 36
Bob,
I would suggest talking to PANELTRONICS of Florida.
Manufacturer of Marine Electrical Panels and Special Vehicles
I bought from them standard panels this year. The panels are as good as much more expensive cousins from Blue Seas. Their distributor is http://www.marine.com
I don't know if the distributor can be of help but you can talk to the Paneltronics customer service.

Have fun, Chris
Rodz is offline   Reply With Quote