Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-07-2012, 17:24   #76

Re: New Lithium-Ion Batteries

Can't say I've ever been struck by lightning but lithium ferrous (LiFeP04) cells don't burst into flames or explode, it is lithium polymer cells that catch on fire and explode.

T1 Terry

Old 03-08-2012, 00:20   #77

Boat: Leopard 43
Hi Terry,

Well you were right! I installed my 32 100ah cells, 8 parallel 4 series to make 800ah @ 12v and they are staying perfectly balanced without BMS over the last few months. I have my cell logger running on the 4 series of cells and they haven't drifted yet. I have not had to put any big loads on them yet just the fridge and electronics running and charging is from an 80 amp alternator externally regulated to cut out at 14.1v.

Is there any possibility of any cells drifting within my 8 parallel supercells? I have thought about buying a few more cell loggers to measure the individual cells.

For now I have 2 cell loggers hooked up, one alarm is for high voltage and one for low voltage. So far no alarms.

Thanks again for all of your help and encouragement.

CJ

Old 03-08-2012, 03:24   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Holiday View Post
Hi Terry,

Well you were right! I installed my 32 100ah cells, 8 parallel 4 series to make 800ah @ 12v and they are staying perfectly balanced without BMS over the last few months. I have my cell logger running on the 4 series of cells and they haven't drifted yet. I have not had to put any big loads on them yet just the fridge and electronics running and charging is from an 80 amp alternator externally regulated to cut out at 14.1v.

Is there any possibility of any cells drifting within my 8 parallel supercells? I have thought about buying a few more cell loggers to measure the individual cells.

For now I have 2 cell loggers hooked up, one alarm is for high voltage and one for low voltage. So far no alarms.

Thanks again for all of your help and encouragement.

CJ
As the internal resitance to charge at cell level is 0.05v, that's as far out of balance as the cells within a parallel pack can go, when the cells are charging or discharge the max highest to lowest is 0.05v.
As you are taking the cells above max full voltage, 3.45v per cell or 13.8v, you are definitely getting the cells fully charged so everything is doing just what it should do, gotta be happy with that

T1 Terry
Old 25-08-2013, 12:47   #79

Terry,

Thank you for the information. I want to buy this battery as my new 12 volt House Bank.
Would appreciate your information where to go and what to order for around 400 AH
capacity. I have been shopping around looking at what is available. Always great to find someone who has been there and done that.
Hope you can give directions.
Thank you

Jeff
Old 25-08-2013, 18:45   #80

Hi Jeff,
I'm based in Aust so it really depends where you are or where you decide to do the battery fit up as to where you source the cells. For 400Ah @ 12v I'd go for 16 x 100Ah cells, 4 cells in parallel x 4 groups of these is series. Balancing is much more consistant this way rather than 4 x 400ah cells, the high and low cells even out better. You can get them strapped as 4 groups of 4 cells in parallel making 400Ah 3.2v batteries, easy to handle and mount up, then just cables to link them together.
The Junsi cell logger still only sees 4 cells, just 4 x 400Ah cells, not 16 x 100Ah cells, so monitoring and warning alarms are still just as simple as are auto shut off over cell and under cell voltage sytems if you want to make it a self regulating system

T1 Terry
Old 26-08-2015, 05:39   #81

Boat: Lagoon 400

Hi Terry
I have been looking at the possibility of replacing my existing house bank of AGM batteries with Winston batteries. Can you please give me an update how yours are going?
Appreciate any feedback you may have.
Regards
Nick
Old 26-08-2015, 06:52   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsumi View Post
Hi Terry
I have been looking at the possibility of replacing my existing house bank of AGM batteries with Winston batteries. Can you please give me an update how yours are going?
Appreciate any feedback you may have.
Regards
Nick
Haven't been here for quite a while :lol: Recently carried out a clear up and capacity test, 4 yrs, 1,500 cycles and the worst cells were down around 15%, some as little as 5% on advertised capacity.
These cells have not been babied at all, more like abused, a few trips to below 0% SOC, actually killed a few cells I the pack when a 24/12v converter was left turned on with the solar turned off, this prompted the cell removal and testing really, we expected to maybe save a few but in fact most came good after a few cycles. Out of 32 cells we lost 6, so we were quite surprised.
Certainly worth spending the money and buying good cells, then look after them, a LVC is a must and monitored/controlled at cell level, not battery pack level

T1 Terry
Old 26-08-2015, 08:05   #83

Thanks for the reply Terry. Can you recommend a LVC device which can monitor and control cell level?
Did you do the clear out and capacity test yourself or did you have to send the batteries somewhere?
Also just wanted to double check,is it Winston batteries you have installed?
Thanks for your time
Old 26-08-2015, 17:47   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsumi View Post
Thanks for the reply Terry. Can you recommend a LVC device which can monitor and control cell level?
Did you do the clear out and capacity test yourself or did you have to send the batteries somewhere?
Also just wanted to double check,is it Winston batteries you have installed?
Thanks for your time
Yes Winston cells. I conducted the capacity testing myself using the Victron 700 BMV as the recording and primary control, turn charge off 14v and 0.5 amp charge rate were detected for more than 3 mins, rest for 1 hr, discharge to 0% SOC or 11.5v. The secondary control was a Junsi cell log 8 programmed for 3.6v high cell alarm and 2.0v low cell alarm, 14.4v high battery alarm and 11.5v, off for 5 mins and reset. By programming the Victron with the advertised cell capacity the remaining 0% SOC was the capacity lost.The cells were built into a single parallel 12v - 4 cell pack, the % capacity was recorded for each cell when it reached the point the battery voltage from the combined cells did not reach the Junsi 11.8v min required for a reset. Very basic testing but it served the purpose of verifying the cells were still suitable for house battery use. Generally 3 cycles had the cells back to an acceptable level, more cycles may have improved them further but there were a lot of cells to test and a limited time to do the testing.
A good LVC/HVC complete system shut down can be built using a combination of the relay contacts in a Victron 700 BMV and the alarm contacts in the Junsi Cell Log8, driving mini relays to drive a Gigavac contactor. Set the Victron low SOC% return and low voltage return close enough for a recovery to reset the Gigavac contactor so normal system operation is returned or set it up to require a manual press button reset.

T1 Terry
Old 27-08-2015, 15:57   #85

Hi Terry
Thank you again for the information. I spent a few hours over the last few nights reading back over your old posts on this subject, trying to sift through the information.
I am obviously in the research stage at the moment. I need to decide on the capacity, then the best configuration of the batteries. Then the control safety management system (which I hope to keep simple).
Couple of questions
Do you have any basic schematic drawing and equipment list of your set up that you would be willing to share. and
If you were to put another system together from the start would you do anything different from your current set up?
Thanks again
Nick

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: