Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-05-2016, 03:35   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 305
New lead acid batteries

Do batteries come charged when you first buy them? Is there a certain "first charge" procedure you have to follow? I purchased sportsman deep cycle batteries and having trouble with them keeping charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 05:05   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: New lead acid batteries

Most wet batteries are fully charged and tested before shipping, however batteries will self-discharge when not in use during transportation and storage. The rate of self discharge is a function of grid alloy and storage temperature. Basically, for all lead-acid batteries, the rate of self discharge increases with storage temperature. The total charge lost is a function of the time in storage at a given temperature.

The first charge brings the battery to an operational state. Before this charging process, the cell electrolyte level should be checked, making sure the electrolyte covers the plates. If this isn’t the case, add distilled water until all the plates are submerged. It is important not to over fill because the level will rise slightlyduring the charge process.

Consult your specific manufacturer’s Installation Operation and Maintenance Manual (IOM) for details.

Ie: Rolls ➥

Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 13:09   #3

Boat: Modified Roberts 36' (stretched to 39')

When you buy them ask the dealer to show you the manufacturers date on the battery and if they are say more than a month older than the purchase date either look for those that are closer or find a dealer with a higher turnover whose batteries do not lie in stock for long periods.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 13:18   #4

Google "Breaking in New Batteries", too. It takes a few cycles and partial discharges to get plates etched.
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 08:27   #5

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

On shore power my automatic charger charged my new AGM batteries for over 24 hours to get to 14.7 v. Then it just does enough to stay close to 13.4. So yes, there is a good chance your batteries will not be fully charged when you pick them up.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 13:05   #6

Boat: No boat right now

You can also sometimes buy a dud battery. I bought one, what a pain. I figured the battery was new, so started taking everything else apart trying to get the engine to turn over. The volts looked good, which fooled me, but it couldn't supply any current. I returned it to the store with great aplomb. A new (non-dud) and everything worked perfect. My luck.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 13:23   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What are your actual voltages readings at rest? I have found brand new batteries to be about 12.45 volts after a good long charge and resting overnight. It would be helpful to have more details. But if they are actually discharging badly on their own, check each for being hot after charging. A hot battery indicates an internal short. I have had two fairly new batteries shorted over the years.
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 15:54   #8

From Crown battery
A freshening charge is used to bring a new battery to a fully charged condition before it is placed into service, or when a battery has been standing idle for a short time period. A freshening charge is typically a soft charge at a low output (3 to 6 amperes per 100 ampere hours of the battery’s rated capacity) for approximately 3 hours. This allows the battery to be restored to a fully charged condition maximizing the battery’s electrical storage capability. All new batteries should receive a freshening charge before placing the battery into service.
More Infomation And FAQ's | Crown Battery

I'll guess other manufacturers would say something similar.

I had a new lifeline gpl-31XT fresh from the concorde factory that was reading 13.06v on delivery. I held it at 14.4v for hours but amps were not tapering to 0.625, seemed to stall out at 0.82a. When I discharged it to ~ 50% then high amp recharged it at 40+ amps initially until 14.4v and then held 14.4v, amps did taper to 0.63, and it held 13.23v for a week afterwards.

Impressive battery. Took 5Ah from it, voltage rebounded to 13.16v and held there for days
Sternwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 19:18   #9

Boat: Casacde 36

should be fully charged at time of sale. Check with hydrometer and should get 1275 or so.
if you ran the engine, then let them sit overnight, should still read close to that. If not, take them back.

01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: