Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2010, 10:01   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente
New Generator Needed

I am in the process of refitting our boat and whent to purchase my new Norpro 9kw generator. I had a company out in California who had great pricing but would need to ship the unit to Florida so I started calling Florida dealers to get a price quote to see if I could save on shipping. I now find out Norpro is going broke and the dealer in California will no longer deal with them because they have no money to stock any inventory. I verified this with the dealers in Florida. So now I need to find a new generator company. Does anybody have any recommendations on a brand, or experience with specific companies. I don't want Fisher Panda, but have looked at Northern Lights, Westerbeke, and Onan but the prices are pretty high. I need a 7kw-9kw diesel generator. Help
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 10:19   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I have a 7KW "Next Generation" built in Jacksonville, Florida with a 3cyl. Kubota. I'm very pleased,- low maintenance & good performance. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 10:59   #3
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
I have two Northern Lights generators, one of which is for sale. The 12kw has 1800 hours on it and is in excellent shape. I can have pictures sent to you fairly quickly if your interested. I'm selling it so I can purchase a 5 kw Northern Lights instead. I currently have a 9kw and 12kw and want to go to 9kw and 5kw.

I don't know if you could get agreement on Northern Lights being the best generator, but few would argue that it's one of them.
Old 19-07-2010, 11:05   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Being a Fischer Panda owner, I understand. They are picky, to say the least. However, they have definite advantages in being both light and quiet.

Having said that, I've also talked with several NextGen owners who are very happy. Plus, their 8kw is only 20 pounds heavier than the Fischer Panda 8 Mini, both with sound shields. Nice and compact design, too.

If I was shopping for one, that's where I'd be looking.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 11:25   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
A couple of things:

Are you quite sure you need that much power? If you size your genset for your peak loads, it will be underloaded and oversized for your usual loads. You can manage peak loads with one of those inverters, like the Victron Quattro, which will automatically draw some battery power to supplement your genset (or shore power connection) for A/C startup inrush loads and the like. Then you can get by with a rather smaller genset which will be better loaded and thus work more efficiently.

If you can reduce the size of the genset somewhat, then it will be easier to afford a really good one. "A really good one" means a low-speed one, a 1500RPM (or 1800RPM if 110v) Kohler, Onan, or Northern Lights. Per kilowatt, such a genset will be larger, heavier, and more expensive than a 3000RPM genset. But a 1500RPM 6kW genset might not be heavier or more expensive than a 9kW 3000RPM genset, so you might be able to make up for it by sizing it properly.

The low speed ones are quieter and much more durable, than the high speed ones.

Between Kohler, Onan and Northern Lights, I can't give you any advice. They all seem to be first-rate to me. We have a 6.5kW Kohler, with a lovely 3-cylinder, 1000cc Yanmar engine. The Onans have Cummins engines. And the Northern Lights have Luggers. -- All first class, professional-quality marine hardware.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 12:04   #6

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Im not sure exactly whats on offer from this company, so if you call em and find out, please let me know

http://www.ecycle.com/docs/KubotaAPU.pdf
Old 19-07-2010, 18:39   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente
decisions?

Thanks for all the input. My first choice, (and still maybe an option) is to buy a MER Equipment 6.5kw due to the excellent construction and 25-50k hour life span but the price is big $13,000. So after a day of research I am leaning towards a Westerbeke 7.6kw which is a mitsubishi block and from all I have heard very reliable. Anybody own one of these or similar? Thanks Rourke
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 19:03   #8

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
Dockhead pretty much has it nailed. We had bad luck with a Fisher-Panda. We now have a Northern Lights unit (having owned one in a previous boat with no problems). IMHO one is better off with the 1500/1800RPM units.
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 19:22   #9

Another vote for 1500/1800 speed. Onan, Norhern Lights, Kohler all very good. I don't hear much about Westerbeke these days but that could mean nothing. Look hard at the Victron solution mentioned above as a way to downsize the genset (lots of info on their web site). It can be really hard to keep a big genset properly loaded.

I've had Onan on two boats. Very happy. Two items that figured in my choice:

Onan does a great job putting all of the standard service items on one side. Was important in my mounting location.

It seemed to me (and this was very unscientific) that Onan has more service agents in cruising areas - especially outside the US.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 07:27   #10

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
We have a 2006 7.6 BTD, installed in 2007. It works fine, runs at 1800RPM for 110/220Vac at 60/30A. Spares are stocked at just about every Westy dealer (unlike my 120-T4A propulsion engine ). Runs great; its mechanical governor maintains a fairly constant speed under load (about 4% - i.e., never drops down to 58Hz or below).

My only complaint so far is that when installed, the boatyard used a cheap 5/16" vinyl hose to connect the freshwater expansion tank, which rotted away after barely 18 months. I'm not sure whether it was factory-supplied, or it was what the installer had on hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
Thanks for all the input. My first choice, (and still maybe an option) is to buy a MER Equipment 6.5kw due to the excellent construction and 25-50k hour life span but the price is big $13,000. So after a day of research I am leaning towards a Westerbeke 7.6kw which is a mitsubishi block and from all I have heard very reliable. Anybody own one of these or similar? Thanks Rourke
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:24   #11

Boat: Kajun Diva, Lagoon 380
Norpro Generator

At least you found out about Norpro before buying. We purchased a Lagoon 380 with a Norpro 7kw already on it. Genset was purchased in 2007 by the previous owner. We're currently in Grenada WI and the main stator has burnt out. Called Norpro for replacement with response they didn't have any, none in the US, and didn't know when or if they would be getting any. Numerous calls to Mike Green (President/CEO) have gone unanswered. Now we're stuck with some expensive ballast aboard our boat. So much for a 5 year warranty.
Gregory A. Duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:46   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory A. Duga View Post
... the main stator has burnt out. Called Norpro for replacement with response they didn't have any, none in the US, and didn't know when or if they would be getting any...
An industrial re-wing (motor) shop should be able to fix you up. Might have to try in Trinni'.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:24   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
An industrial re-wing (motor) shop ..
Oops! Should have said: "re-wind shop"

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator