Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2011, 20:30   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: New electrical panel..... A learning oportunity.

Terminal strip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	35249  
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 07:09   #17

Boat: Catalina 30

Terminal strip prior to rewire.
Old 29-12-2011, 07:52   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Since this is not your expertise then consult with a professional. There are plenty of ways of making mistakes. You don't have to have the professional do all the work, just have him take a look and let you know what needs to be done and have him help you along the way if you have any questions.

I also agree with getting a couple books on marine electrical systems so you can start learning the basics.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 08:06   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Since this is not your expertise then consult with a professional. There are plenty of ways of doing this wrong. You don't have to have the professional do all the work, just have him take a look and let you know what needs to be done and have him help you along the way if you have any questions.
We rewired our previous boat ourselves, but did what David suggests. Our good friend is also an electrical whiz. We had him design a new electrical system for our 34' ketch (1973 Grampian-34) based on our needs. You can see the proper schematic that he drew for us in the photo album here (www.elysian.ca -- the boat is now for sale ). With a design plot stuck to the bulkhead for constant consultation, we were able to do almost all the work ourselves.

It was a big job, but well worth it. By the end of it you will be a decent electrical handyman(woman).

I strongly second the comments about getting good equipment and good tools. Quality ratcheting crimpers, cutters and wire strippers cost more, but make the job a lot easier.
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 19:40   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to Nomdaica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly

We rewired our previous boat ourselves, but did what David suggests. Our good friend is also an electrical whiz. We had him design a new electrical system for our 34' ketch (1973 Grampian-34) based on our needs. You can see the proper schematic that he drew for us in the photo album here (www.elysian.ca -- the boat is now for sale ). With a design plot stuck to the bulkhead for constant consultation, we were able to do almost all the work ourselves.

It was a big job, but well worth it. By the end of it you will be a decent electrical handyman(woman).

I strongly second the comments about getting good equipment and good tools. Quality ratcheting crimpers, cutters and wire strippers cost more, but make the job a lot easier.
Beautiful boat!!! I'll trade you an Alberg 30! Hehe.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:58   #21

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

Boat wiring isn't rocket science. It's one of the things I like about living on a boat. It's all pretty simple and easy to do yourself.

Just invest in the proper tools(not the cheap stuff), use quality heat shrink connectors, don't wear jewelry when working with 12v, wear eye protection if you're dealing with the battery, always know the amp rating of the wire you're working with and put in place breakers/fuses as close as possible to the battery that are rated less than the wire so they blow first.

You'll be surprised how much bad wiring you'll run across in your boat. For some reason people love to save 50 cents by using those cheap Walmart plastic connectors or just some black tape. And that's on wiring that should have a 10-20 year lifespan on your boat.

This is what I yanked out when I was replacing the lights on my boat:

It wasn't any extra effort to clean it up with the new install:

The boat itself has great wiring in it. Just a lot of shoddy add on work.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 13:18   #22
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Great Lakes Skipper is a good place to find a reasonably priced OEM overstock electrical panel.

Boat Parts - Electrical Supplies - Switch Panels

I second on the double ratcheting crimper and heat shrink connectors.

Nigel Calder and Charlie Wing have good books on basic 12v wiring, well worth the investment.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote