Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2017, 05:02   #16

Re: New DC/AC setup - input

I have been planning on using Skylla chargers (12V/60A), and their operating temperature range is listed as:

-20 to 60°C (Full output current up to 40°C)

This does give me the idea that I should be logging the temperature in the engine room.

Allan.
ayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:50   #17
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Neither batteries nor their electronic infrastructure should be subjected to high temps.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 14:29   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
The datasheet is not clear there but since the charger is rated at 25°C ambient, I would guess it is ambient as well for the inverter. And it says 2200W @40°C.

Your experience is making me a little anxious though. Trying to understand what might differ from your setup to mine. Are you using the multiplus as a charger , like a lot I mean ? because I have only used the charger like 5 times for testing purposes, maybe that is the fragile part of the system ?
Of course I am - why would you even have it otherwise? Fed by Shore power, plus our heavy duty 230v generator.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 14:30   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayates View Post
. . .
This does give me the idea that I should be logging the temperature in the engine room.

Allan.
A very good idea.

I do it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 16:56   #20

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Quote:
yes the venus is an interesting piece of equipement but I can live without it. It seems to be about 300 EUR whereas the BMV is about 160 EUR shunt included. You should check by yourself but from my understanding there is no shunt with venus or GX, so those two would be complementary to the required BMV anyway.
Yeah I a am a bit og a geek, so a few flashing lights and I'm sold on something.

As long at the 12v 2000 80a multiplus will do the Nespresso (1200w) then I am happy. Will also do a small LED TV and a Laptop (20w).

Good to read about others experiences.
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 18:39   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayates View Post
A very good idea.

I do it.
I do have the log from the house battery bank; that peaked at 35C. The engine room I suspect would be hotter.

Allan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Noname.png
Views:	75
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	157135  
ayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:16   #22

Boat: Sabre 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
Yeah I a am a bit og a geek, so a few flashing lights and I'm sold on something.

As long at the 12v 2000 80a multiplus will do the Nespresso (1200w) then I am happy. Will also do a small LED TV and a Laptop (20w).

Good to read about others experiences.
I can can confirm that the 2000/80 will easily run a Nespresso. It only takes, what, 45 seconds to heat up? Uses peanuts of amp hours. I have easily run 1300 watts for 15 minutes while cooking on my induction stove. (My bank is 645 amp hours of golf cart batteries. YMMV if you have a significantly smaller bank. The Victron is also installed out of the engine room in a well ventilated location.)

My Mac Book Pro (90 watts) also charges well. The only think that runs a bit odd is my heat gun. The inverter clicks, but otherwise heats up and works fine for the minute I use it to heat shrink a crimp. I should ask Victron what is up.

Haven't plugged a TV in, but it should also easily work as the Victron has a pure sine wave.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:13   #23
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
The only think that runs a bit odd is my heat gun. The inverter clicks, but otherwise heats up and works fine for the minute I use it to heat shrink a crimp. I should ask Victron what is up.
My heat gun is rated 2000W. Will not work with a 12/2000/80 which outputs 1600W@25°C.

To the OP, be sure to check the consumption of every electrical appliance you intend to use before selecting your inverter.

Still, those multiplus can be paralleled so you might add a second one later should you need more power. 2x 12/2000/80 will handle 3200W@25°C. Not bad. I am thinking about doing the same myself, it also adds redundancy and peace of mind.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:08   #24

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Quote:
My heat gun is rated 2000W. Will not work with a 12/2000/80 which outputs 1600W@25°C.

To the OP, be sure to check the consumption of every electrical appliance you intend to use before selecting your inverter.

Still, those multiplus can be paralleled so you might add a second one later should you need more power. 2x 12/2000/80 will handle 3200W@25°C. Not bad. I am thinking about doing the same myself, it also adds redundancy and peace of mind.
Thanks - good to know.
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote