Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2016, 17:18   #31

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: New Battery Bank (is this wired correctly?)

If it were me, I would create two banks with three batteries each. Why do you need that much battery capacity? Considering 70 or 80% of total capacity is usable could you get by with one bank of three?
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 17:28   #32

[QUOTE=kmacdonald;2267851

1. If it were me, I would create two banks with three batteries each.

2. Why do you need that much battery capacity? Considering 70 or 80% of total capacity is usable could you get by with one bank of three?[/QUOTE]

1. Bad idea. Do a search on Calder on this forum to read why a larger bank lasts longer than two split house banks (UNLESS you always run them together through a switch, which makes even less sense).

2. FYI, you my not know this, but kmacdonald has a small boat and is a proponent of less is better when it comes to batteries. He rarely deigns to recognize or identify that his solutions and recommendation, in most if not all cases, do not apply in any way. shape, or form, to real life full time cruisers with large daily electrical needs. While his recommendations are almost always valid, they are rarely put in the perspective of acknowledging they are only valid for his small boat. You need to know that to understand his recommendations.

Disclaimer: I have a 34 foot boat, cruise regularly but not full time, and have a 390 ah house bank with a separate reserve bank, using a 1-2-B switch, 100 ah daily use confirmed by my Link 2000, fridge, 100A alternator with Balmar MC-612 external regulator.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 17:47   #33

Stu is correct. My primary goal is less weight. I only use about 3 Ah a day on my boat. That's depth finder, cabin lights, charging cell phones and tablet PC, anchor light on occasion, charge handheld VHF. I have a 20 Ah lithium battery and 60W solar panel. I might change out the 60W panel for a smaller and lighter 30W panel.

If you don't have refrigeration or autopilot, battery usage should not be very much. Get LED lights, they are a lot cheaper than batteries and charging capacity.
Old 28-11-2016, 17:54   #34

Two banks is no worse than 7 batteries in series IMHO. I would prefer to see a single bank but not if it means connecting 7 batteries in series.
Old 28-11-2016, 18:32   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Two banks is no worse than 7 batteries in series IMHO. I would prefer to see a single bank but not if it means connecting 7 batteries in series.
I meant to say 7 batteries in parallel. Sorry
Old 29-11-2016, 06:17   #36

Boat: Camano Troll

Seven (or any number) batteries in parallel is fine but not if one is several feet away from the rest.

Tags
battery