Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2017, 13:35   #1

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60
new batteries

I am about to get new batteries (8) for my house banks (2), since I'm living on the boat I have refrigerator and freezer well stocked, I am at a marina with electrical supply (50amp), my question is; working by myself it will take me about two days to take out the old and put in the new. Will the electricity coming in through the inverters maintain electricity for the systems while the batteries are disconnected?
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 13:43   #2

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Re: new batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRELOS View Post
I am about to get new batteries (8) for my house banks (2), since I'm living on the boat I have refrigerator and freezer well stocked, I am at a marina with electrical supply (50amp), my question is; working by myself it will take me about two days to take out the old and put in the new. Will the electricity coming in through the inverters maintain electricity for the systems while the batteries are disconnected?
Your inverter produces AC from your DC battery system. As you've already stated that you're in a marina and connected to shore power, your AC supply will be unaffected.

If you're worried about losing DC for two days, then I'd recommend disconnecting only one bank, removing the batteries, placing the new ones, reconnecting the new bank, and then disconnecting the 2nd old bank and repeat. That way you can maintain DC coverage while installing the new batteries. Having the new batteries connected in parallel to an old battery bank for the 2mins it should take you to disconnect the 2nd old bank from the DC system shouldn't cause any issues.

Sent from mTalk
Old 02-08-2017, 18:31   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

In NY, even this time of year, the odds are pretty good the shorepower will stay up. On Long Island you've got "son of LILCO" and some places upstate have similar utilities that can lose power for a week after a storm.

But if you want a backup for the shorepower, find a supermarket or someplace in the yellow pages where you can buy ten pounds of dry ice. Should run you about $25 and keep the typical boat reefer/fridge icy cold for two days with no problem.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 19:49   #4

Boat: Catalina 400 MkII

Not trying to be a jerk but...

If you aren't sure how your electrical system is setup, are you sure you want to be replacing the batteries yourself?
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 20:31   #5

Simple Tip: Take a few good pictures of your present battery wiring before you disconnect (it's easy to get it wrong when replacing) and one wrong connection could blow a hole through your boat (yes really!) or even worse kill/dis figure your self!,
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:41   #6

It depends on how your shore power is wired and upon how your inverter works if it's passing through shore.

In my system, for example, I can't pass through shore power without at least one battery attached to power the inverter. Since I'm about to replace the batteries wholesale, I will have to temporarily re-wire the shore cord to the distribution panel directly.
nebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:21   #7

Many inverter-chargers will continue to output charging voltage if you disconnect the batteries, but most will not start up if they don't sense a battery. Therefore, if you lose shore power or turn the charger off, it will stay that way until you get a battery hooked up again.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:47   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Speaking of safety, if there are ANY uncertainties, please do make sure to use a test light or meter to make Real Damn Sure all the wires you are working with are totally disconnected. And that an accidental contact with a tool, or ring, or watch, can't ground out a hot wire and create a memorable incident. It happens.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:23   #9

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

I have changed batterie before (2x) on my last boat a Lord Nelson 35, it was wired 12V.
This boat is a lot more complicated 24V and many electrical DC devices, I appreciate all concerns and thanks to all. Plan on installing Firefly batteries, hope they are as good as they say
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote