Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-09-2017, 22:43   #106

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: New Balmar Alternator Charging Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
So, has anyone tried the fan/blower cooling the alternator to see if that works or not?
Its my next project.

Old 26-09-2017, 12:09   #107
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

A couple of recently discovered details I was not previously aware of ....
Setup is AT-200 alternator, MC-614 regulator.

#1, Belt load manager: The manual states (for example for B-9) "Field reduction 63%"
I used to interpret this as "the field is reduced ***BY*** 63% but have reason to believe that it should be interpreted as "the field is reduced ***TO*** 63%. I have an inquiry in to Balmar to confirm.

#2, Diode pack temperatures: I have now seen situations of diode pack temperatures exceeding 70C ABOVE frame temperature (which is what the regulator monitors).
While default max frame temperature is 100C, I have seen people set up for higher temperatures to get more charging current. Before you increase the maximum temperature setpoint, think about the poor diodes and the reduced service life they will see !
Due to limitations of my testing setup, I can not test any actual temperatures above about 127C so there is a bit of interpretation involved but if your alternator frame is at 55C and the diode pack is at 127C, you start to wonder !!!!

Old 26-09-2017, 12:14   #108
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Sold it!
Send a message via Skype™ to OceanPlanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post

#1, Belt load manager: The manual states (for example for B-9) "Field reduction 63%"
I used to interpret this as "the field is reduced ***BY*** 63% but have reason to believe that it should be interpreted as "the field is reduced ***TO*** 63%. I have an inquiry in to Balmar to confirm.

#2, Diode pack temperatures: I have now seen situations of diode pack temperatures exceeding 70C ABOVE frame temperature (which is what the regulator monitors).
While default max frame temperature is 100C, I have seen people set up for higher temperatures to get more charging current. Before you increase the maximum temperature setpoint, think about the poor diodes and the reduced service life they will see !
Due to limitations of my testing setup, I can not test any actual temperatures above about 127C so there is a bit of interpretation involved but if your alternator frame is at 55C and the diode pack is at 127C, you start to wonder !!!!
This is why we like the Mark Grasser external rectifiers, which we like to use on most small-case alts. With the heat off the alt they can run at full or near full field! The difference is amazing.
OceanPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 12:32   #109

Quote:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
My MC-612 manual page 11 states:

...hold switch with magnetic tool. Display will decrement through percentage values (98, 96, 94, and so on).
Release when the desired percentage is indicated.

Check some other references in your manual. I always thought it meant TO, that that is why. ^^^^
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 13:07   #110
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
My MC-612 manual page 11 states:

...hold switch with magnetic tool. Display will decrement through percentage values (98, 96, 94, and so on).
Release when the desired percentage is indicated.

Check some other references in your manual. I always thought it meant TO, that that is why. ^^^^
Interesting ... the 614 does not give percentage figures, they give a single digit 0 to 9.

So I went and looked at the newest manual for the 614 on line and sure as shootin' the thing has changed substantially. The newest manual says 'field reduction 45%' for belt manager #9
Old 26-09-2017, 14:18   #111

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Interesting ... the 614 does not give percentage figures, they give a single digit 0 to 9.

So I went and looked at the newest manual for the 614 on line and sure as shootin' the thing has changed substantially. The newest manual says 'field reduction 45%' for belt manager #9
and what the heck does THAT mean? Reducing BY 45% or TO 45%?
Old 26-09-2017, 14:34   #112

Boat: Hunter 31

Quote:

#2, Diode pack temperatures: Before you increase the maximum temperature setpoint, think about the poor diodes and the reduced service life they will see !
Easiest way to check on the belt manager is to measure the output current with or without and measure the decrease.

I would not worry about the diodes as much. Do what is necessary to service your loads.
Old 26-09-2017, 14:46   #113
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
and what the heck does THAT mean? Reducing BY 45% or TO 45%?
LOL ... I read that as 'field strength reduced by 45% .... or you get 55% of the output rating of the alternator"

Which corresponds to the measured figures.

The highest reduction is half output which is what you get when you short the alternator temperature sensor leads together and then it goes in 5% step increases in power up to full output at belt load manager level 0.

Yes, I guess you could interpret either official description either way I guess but at least to me the new version is clearer
Old 26-09-2017, 14:50   #114
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
I would not worry about the diodes as much. Do what is necessary to service your loads.
OK .... each to their own ..... I am fairly confident that ignoring things is NOT a good way to keep your repair budget under control ! Crank that puppy right up to full output, increase allowable alternator temperature while you are at it and see what happens
Old 26-09-2017, 15:16   #115

I believe each reduction is about 3%, starting from 100% and that they are compounding.

Roughly, no one needs to calculate to three decimal places and then test with a very accurately calibrated Fluke ammeter to check whether I'm right.

(opposite, I'd love to see someone do that! 8-)

Tags
alternator, balmar, charging

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: