Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 07:34   #1

Boat: Nordic 40
New Alternator Woes

I installed a new Balmar 70 amp alternator and AR-5 regulator on my Westerbeke 46 engine and have a problem I don't understand at all.
The alternator appears to be working correctly, but...
When I turn on the ignition switch the temperature gauge and oil pressure gauge immediately peg all the way to the right. The voltage gauge stays all the way to the left. This happens before I start the engine and they don't change when the engine starts.
I'm pretty sure I connected all the wires correctly, but obviously I did something wrong. I tried disconnecting the tach and exciter wires at the alternator, but the needles still pegged when I turned on the ignition.
I am at a loss, I don't even know where to begin to track this down. Has anybody seen anything similar or have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?
Thanks in advance.
Sluce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:50   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: New Alternator Woes

If I were to guess at it, you have a 12 VDC positive going directly to your gauges rather than the normal 12v hot going to your engine sensors first and then the reduced voltage going to your gauges.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:06   #3

I expect that is what is happening. But how could putting in a new alternator have done that? The only wires connecting to the instrument panel are the hot from the ignition switch and the tachometer.
Old 02-06-2014, 13:35   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800

I think it has to go to the brown wire off the Balmar supplied harness. I had a similar issue. Give balmar a call too. Helpful for me
bmm32005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 13:53   #5

Did you do a before & after wiring diagram, like this?

Alternator Regulator Wiring Diagrams - all three Alternator Regulator Wiring Diagrams (all three)

It's really hard to help diagnose electrical issues with either pictures of wiring only or only text. Wiring diagrams are pretty much the only way.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:59   #6
Marine Service Provider

When a gauge pegs, it is indicative a short between the sender and the gauge. Or a shorted sender.

As a matter of fact that is how to determine if the gauge is good. With ignition on, and sender wire disconnected at the sender, if grounding the wire pegs the needle, then you have a bad sender. if the gauge doesn't move then you have a bad gauge.

Don't leave a gauge on with either a shorted sender/ sender wire, as it will soon kill the gauge.

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluce View Post
I installed a new Balmar 70 amp alternator and AR-5 regulator on my Westerbeke 46 engine and have a problem I don't understand at all.

When I turn on the ignition switch the temperature gauge and oil pressure gauge immediately peg all the way to the right. The voltage gauge stays all the way to the left. This happens before I start the engine and they don't change when the engine starts.

I am at a loss, I don't even know where to begin to track this down. Has anybody seen anything similar or have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?
Thanks in advance.
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:32   #7

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Also check your tach for accuracy. Can't remember if the 2 alternators are 12 or 14 pole, or 1 of each.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:47   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Problem is probably in the regulator wiring, or wires you moved to install the regulator. Check it again.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 05:10   #9

Thanks for all the replies. In the end I had to get a mechanic to look at it. It turned out that the ground to the instrument panel had become disconnected somewhere in the wiring harness or behind the panel. I had been concentrating on the ground from the alternator, which was fine. I never thought to check the ground to the panel.
He wired in a new ground connection and I was back in business.

Tags
alternator