Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 01:01   #1

Boat: Farrier, F-44SC, performance cruising cat
New AGM Batteries and a Delayed Launch

I made a mistake and ordered a really nice pair of 198 amp hour Decka Sea Mate AGM batteries for my new f-44SC catamaran that is in the completion stages. Our family experienced a few set backs that may postpone the launch date and I feel very foolish to have purchased these really nice batteries a bit too soon

I am getting mixed signals about the best way to baby them to prolong the over all life time of these super fine batteries. Obviously, the main thing is to keep them in an optimum charge state by float charging them and keeping a close track of the voltages. However, I have been receiving some mixed messages about what stage of charge is best. Some say that I need to occasionally partially discharge them to say 12.2 for a short time then bump them up to a full charge with a three stage charger ending in a float charge just to make sure the plates don't develop slight degradation due to inactivity. Big question here is that whether the lack of slight use is doing damage even know I am keeping the batts trickled charges? If so, maybe I may need to exercise them slightly every month or so until I get my ship in the water. Is this utter nonsense or should I just keep them idling on a trickle charger.
vientoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm, batteries