Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2016, 09:33   #1

Boat: Kadey Krogen 44
New 8D's advice please on APEX

Hi,
After asking folks advice on equalizing my eight year old Lifeline 8D's and receiving lots of good thinking, I realize that whether or not the equalization works I will soon have to replace them. Looking at and pricing Lifeline AGM's for replacements I soon realized that there a number of folks manufacturing these batteries and their users claim good results. So, I thought I'd start with the least expensive and ask for advice.
There's a battery out there called APEX. Chinese made, claiming 260 amp-hrs, that has the same footprint as any 8D but is a couple of inches taller. It will fit in my battery boxes.
Now, I'm not much on Chinese stuff ( and these batteries are ) but they have the capability to make a good product. Just don't know if this is one of them. Building batteries has not been rocket science for a long time. does anyone know if APEX has gotten this one right?
I had some advice on replacing the 8D's with Golf Cart size batteries which I am also looking but they won't fit well where the 8D's live. And the AGM GC's don't offer any price advantage.
Your advice would be appreciated.
Ray
GRNordstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 11:36   #2

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Re: New 8D's advice please on APEX

Doesn't sound like many AH for a 8D, I think my single East Penn 8D house battery is 330 AH.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 13:19   #3

Re: New 8D's advice please on APEX

I do not trust these Asian made AGM's.

First I would suspect they are old, and since they do not have the super low self discharge of quality AGMs, the chances are higher they are already sulfated, even before being installed.

They also tend to limit charge amperage to no more than 30 amps per 100AH of capacity, which might not be a factor for some, but would be for me in my smaller system.

I think of batteries like tires, it is nearly impossible to save money by buying budget tires. Confidence in the product is worth the extras $$ spent.

If Lifelines are too pricey, look into Full River. These are chinese made, but are built for Rolls-surrette and reportedly give a good cycling lifespan.
Sternwake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease