Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2015, 18:55   #1

Need help troubleshooting a Westerbeke gasoline generator

I have a Westerbeke BCG 5.0 gasoline generator that suddenly stopped running. It was running perfectly one day, and the next it would not start.

The engine is a 3 cylinder approx 600cc 4 stroke with a single carburetor.

I checked the oil pressure transducer as well as the water temp and exhaust temp sender units and they seem to be operating correctly.

The fuel filter is clear, and the fuel pump is operating correctly and pumping fuel

I also put in new spark plugs as the old ones were as black as I have ever seen plugs and the gaps had burned wide. The plugs spark strongly when the engine is cranked over.

All electrical devices have been disconnected from the generator so there is no load.

The engine cranks – but does not start. If I hold the choke open (Normal start position is choke closed) it runs slowly – but does not pick up rpm and then stalls. I looked at the new plugs and they are now also very black indicating a too rich mixture.

Has anyone experienced this with a Westerbeke, or does anyone have any suggestions?

This is the manual I have – the model is BCG 5.0:

http://www.westerbeke.com/operator's..._operators.pdf

Thanks in advance for any guidance and help.
peterdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 23:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Need help troubleshooting a Westerbeke gasoline generator

Too rich is either a plugged air filter (causing engine to draw more fuel) or something changed in the carb. Most common problem is a stuck needle valve (controlled by the float) or a stuck or sinking float. Older floats are 2 piece copper, soldiered together. Sometimes the vibration causes them to leak. A stuck needle valve is sometimes caused by dirt getting into the fuel. Check your filter.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:28   #3

Re: Need help troubleshooting a Westerbeke gasoline generator

Thankyou!

I appreciate your suggestions.

I will check the air filter - it looks like it just has a gauze spark arrester - will remove and see if that solves the problem.

Will also check float and needle valve.

Do you know this engine? Could the electronic speed adjuster circuit be retarding/advancing the spark to a point where the engine is not able to increase rpm?
peterdev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, westerbeke