Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2011, 11:31   #1

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
Need advice on solar panel installation....

I have a 50'catamaran that I am preparing for a South Pacific coconut milk run.
There is room across the back to install an arch that can hold either 4 210w or 185w Kyocera panels. I am not looking to install a wind generator as that may shade the solar panels and defeat their purpose.
My house battery bank is split with half in each hull.
I would like to send the output of two panels to one sides battery bank and the output from the other two panels to the other sides battery bank.
So, I am looking for recommendations for charge controllers, which must be surface mounted, not flush mounted. Thinking about MPPTs.
Also, as the output wire(s) from the solar panels will be next to the engine rooms I would like to mount the controllers in the engine rooms and I think I should be able to connect the output from the solar controllers to where the alternator outputs to the battery bank as the alternators already have a nice large wire going to each battery bank.
Feel free to jump in with your comments, suggestions, thoughts, etc.
Thanks
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 12:14   #2

Boat: Jeanneua 36
Re: Need advice on solar panel installation....

It looks as though you have thought it out very well,keep it simple and DONT let any shade on the panels,remember to keep them clean(bird sh##,sea spray,etc.)If they can be angled / from the center strut it does help(if u remember)you will proberly to busy in sailing in 18nts broad reaching 28 deg.blue sky puffy clouds,long swells,good book,cold beer,no news,no tv,freash fish,cant use the plastic.may the wind all ways come from over your shoulder
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, solar