Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2018, 06:14   #1

Nature Power 400 watt generator or alternative?

Anyone have personal experience with one of these? I've never had a wind generator but believe one makes good sense for me. Plenty of wind in anchorages and marinas here, and for the money much higher wattage than solar.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/natur...bine--14996417

Thanks
Caddy Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:50   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Nature Power 400 watt generator or alternative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy Shack View Post
Anyone have personal experience with one of these? I've never had a wind generator but believe one makes good sense for me. Plenty of wind in anchorages and marinas here, and for the money much higher wattage than solar.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/natur...bine--14996417

Thanks

Take a look at the wind speed/power curve and compare it to your local wind speeds. That 400W is at 25 knots of wind. At 15 knots sustained (which you will not see very often in a marina), you get maybe 100 Watts out of it.

And note that once you get over 25 knots, the output again falls away very quickly to almost nothing.

The manual has a very deceptive graph - I mistrust any outfit that has to fudge that sort of thing.

http://edge.rit.edu/edge/P12401/publ...owerManual.pdf

I also note that West marine has 1 x 5 star rating and 4 x 1 star ratings! The only 5 star rating is by "Staff Reviewer".
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator