Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2019, 14:55   #1

Multiple Victron MPPT controllers not synchronized?

I have 3 blue sky charge controllers and an IPN proremote right now. They are set up in a master / slave arrangement. I just bought a victron multiplus and I'm considering switching all of my charge controllers to Victron to take advantage of having one ecosystem (as well as the bluetooth and remote monitoring features). I have heard of issues with the controllers not talking to each other, detecting the charge from the other controller shutting down before they should. I have also heard that Victron is working on a fix to make them synchronous, meanwhile I called PKYS technical support to ask them if this was an issue and they didn't seem to think it was a big deal. However I've read accounts of people not getting fully charged in a day, each controller contributing wildly different amounts in a 24 hour period, etc. Is this an issue that anyone has experienced? Is it even an issue?
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 15:49   #2

Boat: R&C Leopard 40
Re: Multiple Victron MPPT controllers not synchronized?

It really is a non issue to me. I do recommend you get the BMV-712 and temp sensor so it can share battery voltage and temp continuously throughout the day as opposed to making the decision just after first light.
Regarding the different stages, it matters none. I think Victron will update them to make people feel better about it and stop people from asking. Once my batteries are above 92-93% it's common for the controllers to drop to 'float'. They don't drop at the same time. The ones not in float will be providing the power to run house loads and whatever the battery will take.

Our equipment:
BMV-712 w/ optional temp sensor
Smart Solar 100/30 x 4
LG NeonR 360wp x 4
FF Oasis 450 ah @ 12v

Our best solar harvest has been 8.2 KWh during one solar day at 12N. About 13 hours total daylight. Our panels are mounted flat.
Old 05-08-2019, 16:04   #3

Re: Multiple Victron MPPT controllers not synchronized?

In general the issue is not centralized vs not.

The key goal is to ensure that the bank is full before a source drops to float V.

A central BM like the IPN-Remote basing that transition off the bank shunt measuring trailing current directly, holding Absorb until endAmps is reached, makes that more precise, a great feature.

A collection of MPPTs acting independently can be configured to get to the same result, it just seems a bit more "muddling through".
john61ct is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mppt