Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-05-2011, 14:30   #31

Boat: Dehler 41 Cr
Re: mppt regulators

Thanks, will get back to the planning board.

Old 28-05-2011, 19:54   #32

Boat: 1996 42' Lavranos Cat Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Personally I sum my panels at a breaker panel before going into the controller. The panel and breakers didn't add much to the cost and gives a little more flexibility and safety if you need to work on the system.

Hi, can u explain to me why you like to break the current to the panels. The only reason I can seem to want to to that is if you want to refresh the connection at the panel (maybe its getting corroded there) without having to pull all the wires out of the controller for a few minutes. Is there any other reason why its nice to do that?
cheers.

Old 28-05-2011, 20:23   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

You can turn off one breaker if you need to take a panel off line, it's easy to check the output of individual panels and to add another panel to the system if your box has capacity. The connections might be more secure then simply connecting the wires.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 21:03   #34

Location: Currently cruising Southern Indonesia, heading for peninsular Malaysia
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Rogala View Post
Hi, can u explain to me why you like to break the current to the panels... Is there any reason why its nice to do that?
I have to turn off my panels all the time, so I've mounted a big switch (actually a small battery switch) in my targa bar, next to my 4 KC120 panels.

The problem is that a MPPT controller uses a DC-DC converter. This takes the incoming PV power (usually ~17v), converts it to high-frequency AC, & then converts it back to DC to charge the batteries (usually 13-14v). The HF AC makes a racket in my SSB so I have to turn off the MPPT whenever I'm on the SSB (& I'm pretty radio-active). Turning off the entire PV array does that.

An alternative is to simply bypass the MPPT. I put a big(ish) switch to simply connect my PV power directly to my batteries while I'm on the SSB. The PV panels are putting out pretty pure DC so they're not a problem, & bypassing the MPPT shut down the HF noise. But the currents are pretty high & I kept blowing up switches, so I eventually abandoned that route, even though it's more efficient.

I've written a lot more about installing PV systems on boats here.
Old 28-05-2011, 23:49   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Rogala View Post
Hello there,
I read in one of these posts that they said the "Outback" mppt solar regulator was the most efficient. I just looked and the outback is rated at 98.1% efficiency while the "Morningstar" mppt was rated at 99% efficiency. I just looked at the 60 amp units.
cheers!
It is only the voltage to voltage conversion efficiency that they are quoting and then just at one point (usually the max input). All MPPT controllers have much worse voltage conversion efficiencies at lower currents.
There is however a lot more to MPPT controllers. The performance of the MPPT varies considerably between units. Some units use a single stage battery regulation point, this is very wasteful and bad for battery health. Make sure you get a unit with a 3 of 4 stage adjustable battery algorithm.
There are a lot a factors that make up an efficient controller. Cheap MPPT regulators are often very poor.

Tags
mppt

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: