Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 14:29   #1

Most Efficient 12vdc Refrigerator?

In order to minimize the draw on batteries, I wanted to find the most effective refrigeration unit available, and prefer a 24vdc model. Is there one better than the Sundanzer line? Also, has anyone made a icebox out of the Glacier Bay High R insulating foam? Is there something out there that can beat its R value? Is a top load unit always the most efficient? Is a keel cooler the way to go? Anything new out there that is really cool (pun not intended, but hey, lighten up).
sascec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 14:42   #2
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I've read about vacuum panels that claimed impressive R values. Very pricey.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 14:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I debated this with a refrig and heating professional. We finally came down to-
1. If you have the space- multilevel blueboard and a good shipwright is the way to go. Get your refrig from R-parts or someplace similar that specializes in well done simple refregeration. Because in the end- its the insulation that makes all the difference. Buy your vacuum panels only if you really know what you are doing, lack space, and are willing to invest tons of $$$.
2. I am redoing my frig. I have a space about 3 feet by 4 feet. I will a foot on all sides with blue foam which will leave me with one foot by two foot by two foot- and a daily drain of about 20-30 amp/hours. Not much of a frig? I disagree- because I do not need that much. Basiclly enough to keep my dead seafood and meat fresh- and I don't eat that much meat. But I want the stuff I have to remain fresh.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 16:56   #4

Glacier Bay cost?

Has anyone priced Glacier Bay Panels? Glacier Bay - Products

they have R50 value with only an inch of thickness. Blueboard is R5 correct? Is there something economical in the middle? Anyone know how much the Glacier Bay boxes cost?

On the refrigerant side, can we still get one that is more highly compressable and allow more effective operation?
sascec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 17:35   #5
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
GB panels are very good, you can expect to pay at least $1k. the guy to ask for there is Bruce Nelson.
Butane is more efficient than CFC's it has obvious disadvantages (boom). Even so, it's being used successfully in Europe.

There was a recent thread here on Sterling Cycle refrigerators which are more efficient.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 17:48   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
The short answer is yes, there are insulation panels with r valves 8-12. With insulaton of r-60 around my frig, and careful glassing and sealing, I will do OK. I know of some that just put in an inverter and a small frig, but I think that is too inefficient.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 19:34   #7

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe if you were to laminate one dollar bills together, you could achieve the R-50 value of RParts vacuum panels for significantly cheaper prices

My physics might be off here...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:29   #8

Boat: Pearson Triton 28'6" S/V Alcyone
Send a message via Yahoo to TritonSailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by sascec View Post
In order to minimize the draw on batteries, I wanted to find the most effective refrigeration unit available, and prefer a 24vdc model. Is there one better than the Sundanzer line? Also, has anyone made a icebox out of the Glacier Bay High R insulating foam? Is there something out there that can beat its R value? Is a top load unit always the most efficient? Is a keel cooler the way to go? Anything new out there that is really cool (pun not intended, but hey, lighten up).
Try Engel-USA, here's one that runs 24V Engel USA MT17

Good Luck

Jeff

"If one does not know to which port is sailing, no wind is favorable."
TritonSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:23   #9

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
Engel and Waeco Adler Barbour

I used both of these units on my catamaran. The Engel was a 45 quart top loader that drew about 3 amps (7 at start up) and the Waeco was about the same with a 110 quart capacity. The Waeco danfuss compressor was actually quieter than the humming of the Engel (push pull compressor) but both were awesome and efficient units. Way more efficient that the bulkhead mounted 12 V fridge that was built into the boat. I'd only use the bulkhead unit when I need more fridge space - cruising the Abacos. And with all three running, my 570 Amp Hour house bank (six 6V Trojans) was plenty enough to keep running. Would run the 110 qt Waeco as my freezer while the Engle and bulkhead unit (not sure what brand) as my fridge. Had a couple 75 watt Shell Solar Panels, a 400 AirX wind generator and each engine had a 65 amp alternator for keeping the bank charged.
SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:31   #10

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe if you were to laminate one dollar bills together, you could achieve the R-50 value of RParts vacuum panels for significantly cheaper prices

My physics might be off here...

LMAO...
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Refrigerator