Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2015, 18:14   #1

Boat: Fountaine Lipari 41 Evolution
Morningstar TS-45 for wind

Has anyone used a Morningstar ts-45 or 60 for a controller of a wind generator? I understand it can be used in diversion mode and seems to be able to set the voltages for bulk, float etc but what I'm not sure about, looking at how it is wired, is what you would see on the meters on the controller if anything. I'm assuming that it would only measure what it sent to the dump resisters not what is coming from the wind generator. I can get a Ts-45 with or without meters so don't want to pay for a meter that does nothing useful

Or is there a better controller that gives me some information about what is happening

https://www.facebook.com/SvTwoflower

https://www.facebook.com/SvTwoflower
Dod42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:16   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 42 DS
Re: Morningstar TS-45 for wind

I have an Eclectic Energy D400 Wind Generator setup together with an Morningstar TS-45. I used the load that came with the generator, only changed out the regulator unit.

I am changing to Lifepo4 and want to have more control over the chargers on the boat, and the Morningstar can be setup with custom settings just the way i want to. I also have an Morningstar MPPT 60 for my 654W of solar panels. (The MPPT`s do NOT have dump mode, so stick to TS-45 or TS-60 for wind use.)

You connect the DC from the wind generator directly to your battery bank.
Then the TS-45 goes between the battery and your dump load.

When the battery reaches the desired voltage the Morningstar starts to dump the excess power in to the dump load.

So you are right, if you buy the display you can only see the power going in to the dump load after the battery is full. But i still recommend having the display so you can see what is going on. Even better, get the remote display.

You can setup an simple ampere or battery monitor between the generator and the battery so you also can see how much the wind generator is producing.

You can also add an switch between the wind generator and battery to shorten the wind generator to ground to stop it from spinning. Some generators can use this as an "parking" setting.. and some (like the D400) recommend only to use this temporary if you need to stop it, in order to easily to tie it down. Some generators may not take this at all, so check what is recommended for your generator.

For Lifepo4 setup this actually has some benefits as it will dump exess power in to the dump load.. even if the generator or any of the other chargers are trying to overcharge your battery.

I also have an BMS that will cut of the power all together if the voltage keeps increasing.
offpist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind