Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2014, 01:15   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Morningstar Sunsaver Duo

Hi,recently purchased a Morningstar Sunsaver Duo 25 amp charger. It regulates 300w of panels that feed 2x 232amp/hr 6volt deep cycle. For years ive just used a shunt type regulator ( came with boat ). Ive deliberately purchased the Morningstar as its simple. My question is ,has or does anyone find the flooded charge profile of these regulators to be conservative? It seems to pull the current right down alot earlier than either my balmar regulator or my Pronautic 30 amp charger. Its frustrating knowing there is so much power left to use. The old shunt style regulator seemed to perform better according to the link 1000 ( I know arent nessacarily that accurate ).
I see that I can purchase a cable from morningstar that will hook the regulator to a Pc allowing me to customize the charge profile, has anyone done this? Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Dale.
Ps. I havent connected a temperature sensor cable yet.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 02:14   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Morningstar Sunsaver Duo

I just bought the duo but haven't installed it.

Someone on another thread was asking about the custom profiling but I don't know if he did it.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 06:16   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

Hi Ex Calif, I've just read that thread and I get the impression the duo is on the conservative side as a protection in the case of the temp sensor not being connected. I'll purchase the temp sensor and the cable that enables me to custom set the profile. Bit of a Bummer as it just un simplified my simple approach. On another note I read you have had some history in the Philippines, I've been here 4 weeks, I'm now anchored of El Nido. The place is awesome, in my opinion better than Thailand and Malaysia and so few crushing boats.
Cheers Dale.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 04:05   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

I lived in the Philippines for 5 years at the end of the Marcos era (survived the People Power revolution) and was married to a FIlipina for 23 years. I spent most of my time in Luzon but have stomped around, Cebu, Dumagete, Northern Mindoro.

Never got to Palawan...

Certainly are a bazillion places to go in the Philippines and the areas of trouble are easily avoided as there are so many other great places.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote