Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2014, 15:55   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
re: More Inverter Woes

Quote:
The number of people willing to spend that much for a more indestructible product is probably quite small compared to the overall number of people that purchase the lesser-built model as they are
ergo Walmart for one.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 16:00   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"it's really not the mfr's responsibility to"
No, their legal responsibility stops with the warranty terms. But the smart ones, the ones who want to be in business in fifty years or a hundred and fifty, support their customers and their products. That buys priceless loyalty to the brand, and in fact it is often cheaper to take a loss on a problem, than it is to replace a customer.
So in simple dollars and sense....You can ignore the customer and churn away millions of them every month until you've killed your brand. As AOL did.
Or you can do as LLBean does. They've actually been interviewed and gone on record as saying their warranty policy is cheaper than advertising to get new customers, and put up dollar figures for both. It may cost them $200-300 (?) in advertising monies spent, to gain one new customer. that one customer has a buying lifetime of perhaps sixty years (ages 20-80) ignoring any referrals they generate. So if they eat some unreasonable warranty claim and spend $100 that they weren't obligated to spend? They've also saved $200 in advertising to replace the customer, and, retained the customer's business for perhaps another 30-40 years. The customer isn't always right, there are always limits, but for a company or it's reps to say "Gee, you broke a two dollar part, how about spending two grand to replace...." is just really a callous insult to the customer.
Especially when you could say something like "Gee, that's unfortunate...here's how we can fix it, and we'll do it at cost for you." THAT could generate a very different response and very different publicity, and that's what makes or breaks profits.

Really, a switch? And they couldn't even say "Oh, that's a Switchco #2500, you could try contacting them at..."

Any third world radio ship can take fixee. Fiedollah.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 16:28   #18

Well..... I would certainly be looking inside the unit. PCB's are sometimes easy to fix even if you aren't a E Tec. Often the bad component is discolored from heat etc.
But back to the original point.... was the unit ON when you broke the switch?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 05:01   #19

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Well..... I would certainly be looking inside the unit. PCB's are sometimes easy to fix even if you aren't a E Tec. Often the bad component is discolored from heat etc.
But back to the original point.... was the unit ON when you broke the switch?
No the unit was off when I broke the switch . Never had the unit come on . The thing is , why couldn't this be fixed . The next inverter will be a Vanner . Victron has lost me as a customer . At least when I call Vanner there is no language barrier .
Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 05:27   #20

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
No the unit was off when I broke the switch . Never had the unit come on . The thing is , why couldn't this be fixed . The next inverter will be a Vanner . Victron has lost me as a customer . At least when I call Vanner there is no language barrier .
Regards
every company has at least one customer with a tale of woe. Another company's product may be no better.

Any good electronic technician should be able to replace a damaged power switch. It might not fit in the original opening and it might not look great but it's a matter of determining what the switch did and duplicating the function.

Circuit boards can be repaired as well. Radio and TV shops are as rare as hen's teeth these days but qualified techs are still around. It's just a matter of finding them.

There seem to be a few repair companies that work on inverters. Check the Internet.
Old 29-01-2015, 06:10   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

If you don't want the 2500 I'll take it. I have two and while there old by electronic standards (about 12 years?) they work fine. The switch would be easy to replace but I understand a manufacturer not supporting stock beyond a certain time. Car dealers stock parts for 10 years or so, then it's aftermarket. In your case you need a SPDT switch soldered to a circuit board.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 06:22   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
If you don't want the 2500 I'll take it. I have two and while there old by electronic standards (about 12 years?) they work fine. The switch would be easy to replace but I understand a manufacturer not supporting stock beyond a certain time. Car dealers stock parts for 10 years or so, then it's aftermarket. In your case you need a SPDT switch soldered to a circuit board.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
The circuit board may be damaged as well but that's repairable by a good technician.
Old 29-01-2015, 06:29   #23

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I have 6 inverters in 5 years, so far xantrex is by far the best
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 06:32   #24

Boat: Bristol 45.5

I sent the unit to my Victron dealer and he told me it was unrepairable , he installed a new switch but it still would not invert , he suspected that something probably fried the operating system chip , which of course is proprietary and nobody has one . So it's a boat anchor because of a 30 cent chip.

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 09:09   #25

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I have 6 inverters in 5 years, so far xantrex is by far the best
If the reason behind your 1.2 inverters a year is due to failure I would say that any brands that you've had probably are not the best.
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 10:07   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"The thing is , why couldn't this be fixed . "
Everything today is about liability and monkey-see-monkey-do. Old fashioned Yankee ingenuity is more often to be found in various Hispanic (excuse the gringo, Latino) backwaters where things can't be so easily replaced.

Years ago I broke an expensive meter, which went flying during an accident and landed quite hard exactly ON the switch. Which was mounted on the circuit board. Which the authorized repair techs could only fix by replacing the whole board.

Instead I carefully epoxied the broken piece of board back in place, and reinforced the break. Then I repaired three broken solder traces that ran over the break. Repairing solder traces is simply NOT acceptable as a permanent and professional repair by most shops, they're required to replace boards.

But the repair has been working just fine for decades.

Ever notice that there are no more "Mr. Fix-It" shops in small towns anymore? That's why you can't get anything "unbroken" anymore.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 12:21   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
............. Then I repaired three broken solder traces that ran over the break. Repairing solder traces is simply NOT acceptable as a permanent and professional repair by most shops, they're required to replace boards...............
I've done that many times.

Tags
inverter