Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 16:37   #1

Boat: Gulfstar Sail Master 47
pirate Modified or Pure Sine Wave Inverter / Charger

I;m new to sailing and doing a complete refit on a 37 Irwin. I plan on installing 4 ea Kyocera 135 watt solar panels and a 400 watt wind gen. My questions are:

1. Should a purchase a pure sine inverter/charger combo or a modified Sine or should I purchase the unit seperately and what brand would you suggest.

2. Batts: AGM or gell or golf cart batts

Thanks in advance. Wife and I plan on living on the hook full time cruising.
ASIMPLELIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 16:41   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Pure sine is still a bit more expensve. but in my view worth it, funny things happen to some devices on modified sinewave systems.

As to integrated or seperate, its a toss up, in my experience its usually the invertor that goes belly upfirst. Its usually cheaper to go with integrated and less cables to run.

As to brands, well I suggest good quailty units as I have had my fill of cheap invertors failing, Mastervolt, Victron, Xantrek avoid the cheapy chineese no brand stuff.

dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 17:26   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Pure sine is the way to go if you use items that don't like MSW, and they've come down in price recently. I toasted some damn expensive camera, phone and power tool batteries off a MSW inverter before switching to pure sine. Some MSW's are cleaner than others but certain devices just don't like MSW and for me those are usually the things I am using. $300.00 in DeWalt cordless tool batteries cost me darn close to a new inverter.

Xantrex now has a pure sine series called the ProWatt SW that are very reasonably priced. I have now installed two of them and the owners are very happy. I am generally not a big fan of Xantrex tech support but some of the products are decent. If you want an auto-switching unit you will pay more.

Tags
inverter