Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2015, 05:31   #1

Modernization/upgrade of DC distribution

As part of our total refit, all electricals are being replaced and expanded from the original 1970's spec. (much of which had been altered/butchered by the PO!)

For reasons of authenticity to her vintage (and that it looks nice next to the Nav. station), we would like to retain the original panel - Attatched are front and rear views of said panel and fuses.

Our question to Electrical Wizards on the forum is: Can the panel be easily upgraded by me (an electrical numpty)

to provide the same functions as a more modern DC panel at reasonable cost.

OR should I just by a new piece of kit and convert the existing space into a booze cupboard with a disguised front?

DC feed will be via a Victron Multiplus inverter/charger.

Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small2.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	113034   Click image for larger version

Name:	small1.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	113035  

Jimlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 09:41   #2

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: Modernization/upgrade of DC distribution

If your old meters still work, then they should be fine. May not be as accurate or reliable as new digital but may be fine for you.

The toggle switches in the middle are all replaceable. You can reuse the on/off "labels under new switches.

It looks like circuit breakers on the bottom?? Of everything on there I would replace those with new style. You might have to fab new mounting holes but should be able to make them fit in with the rest of the panel.

I'd say the biggest issue is whether the function of the old panel meets your needs on the boat. Most older boats could benefit from more breakers to use them as on/off switches and circuit protection. Easier to fine tune what power you are using and isolate faults for trouble shooting.

Make sure whatever you do that the wiring is good tinned wire and of a suitable gauge for the circuits. And use tinned high quality wire terminals.

Good luck. Must be an interesting project. I would definitely upgrade the main battery and charging systems cables if you haven't. With the appropriate fuses to new standards.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 03:59   #3

Re: Modernization/upgrade of DC distribution

Thanks for the tips - much to my own way of thinking
Jimlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib