Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2016, 05:02   #31

Boat: Beneteau OC 41
Re: Mobile Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnow2011 View Post
We could see it from our deck. At the time we had no generator, and had thought about getting a honda. That night sold me on a proper installed generator. It was nearly silent, until the space heater kicked on. Then it went into lawnmower mode, like all hondas do. They rev up, and create a racket. Sailors want a quiet anchorage. Thats just how we are. We don't travel a thousand miles so that we can share the location with loud people. At the dock I expect noise, in an anchorage, I do not. We have a 1" thick fibreglass hull, but hondas under load are LOUD.
Agreed, from the youtubes I've watched, they don't appear to be quiet exactly. Can't imagine running one all night, but envision using it to keep batteries topped off; an alternative to running the engine essentially.
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 05:21   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
We ran the Honda 2000 on two boats for many, many years. It ran most of our 120 volt needs. We powered all of our small appliances, the microwave, toaster, hot water heater, etc. and battery charger. Not all at once and in some cases like the microwave, only that appliance. We also have an inverter hard wired, but seldom used it with the generator since that would be much less efficient. Eventually we installed a diesel generator to provide for our heat/ac system which the Honda would not power. It is a fine addition to your power needs but a complete system approach is still needed. Chuck
Yes, I need to develop a complete system approach; will do that this summer.
Old 15-02-2016, 13:49   #33

What about a big alternator (even a second, with mayor engine rpm/alternator ratio of4 or even 5) on the main engine, a very small battery bank and run the main engine and a 12 or 24v dc to 110 or 230 v ac inverter...quieter, less problem at all, no plug no genset on the deck...

OR main engine with the as called "power pack" that is alternator + regulator that offer 110 or 230 v ac directly, from about 1300 engine rpm...need more watt? more rpm..Beta marine and another company make it...about 3000 euro for 3 kw if i don't remember wrong
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 14:01   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
What about a big alternator (even a second, with mayor engine rpm/alternator ratio of4 or even 5) on the main engine, a very small battery bank and run the main engine and a 12 or 24v dc to 110 or 230 v ac inverter...quieter, less problem at all, no plug no genset on the deck...

OR main engine with the as called "power pack" that is alternator + regulator that offer 110 or 230 v ac directly, from about 1300 engine rpm...need more watt? more rpm..Beta marine and another company make it...about 3000 euro for 3 kw if i don't remember wrong
Yes, from what I've read, upgrading the alternator would be an option. I have been under the impression that charging the batteries through the engine was not the best option, but I'm beginning to rethink that assumption.
Old 15-02-2016, 14:03   #35

What I wouldn't give to have my father, the electrical engineer, around for an consult
Old 15-02-2016, 14:17   #36

I used to own a Honda 3000 with remote control, it was awesome, if a bit on the heavy side. A Honda 2000 is only rated for 1600w continuous, and at that load, it is pretty loud. A Honda 3000 is rated for 2600w cont. and is a bit quieter at full load. I know a lot of people with Honda 2000s and they work ok for charging with a smaller battery charger, but even my Honda 3000 couldn't handle the combined load of my 40 amp and 75 amp chargers. It could, however, handle my 15K BTU air conditioner easily, and that's what I used it for the most.

There's a new crop of Yamaha 79cc engine powered generators that are slightly quieter than even the Honda 2000. They'er in the $500 - 900 range and some, like the Generac IQ2000 have an innovative display showing current load, estimated run time based on current load and instead of ramping up rpm under load, it increase throttle and maintains very close to the same rpm under increased load. The tone gets deeper, but it only increases a few dB from idle to full load, instead of the 20+ dB even the Hondas increase.

Time will tell if the Yamaha engine based units are as reliable as the Hondas, but they're looking pretty attractive both in price and noise level.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 14:29   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I had two Honda's, you can connect them together and power the whole boat if you like.
I now have a 3.5 KW Nexgen. If I had to pick from a bigger alternator and a Honda for charging batteries, I'd go the Honda route.
One Honda will run a Sterling 60 amp charger in Eco mode, which keeps the noise and fuel burn down.
I got rid of my Honda's as they didn't fill my desires, not because they didn't work, CO was a major concern for me, only way I could eliminate it was by putting them in the dinghy, which made them essentially silent from inside my boat.
A built in generator is less noisy for your neighbors, but noisier for you.

Somebody said best 2 K they ever spent, you should be able to get a Honda 2000 delivered for $1,000 or a little more for the companion model, I would want it so the shore power plugs directly in, you lose the itty bitty 12V charger though, but no loss as it has almost no output, less than 10 amps I think.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 15:03   #38

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnow2011 View Post
Oh great, another person who will ruin an anchorage and poison themselves with CO.
I had to listen to one of those rattletraps one night on the ICW. The guy was using it to run a spaceheater. Sounded like someone was mowing the grass. There was no wind, and it ruined our sleep. I have an 18' boathook, and if we came close enough I would have knocked it into the water. Keep your honda's and other brand portables at home.

I can appreciate your feelings on this as I have seen boats running ac on a hot night while running an outside generator when all the other boats had there hatches wide open trying to sleep! When we were cruising the western Caribbean I would look for the red generator on the deck and try to anchor as far away as possible, especially boats with no wind gens or solar as I figured they would be running them often. Then we went through the Bahamas on our way to the Eastern Caribbean where it almost seemed mandatory to have a Honda gen! I broke down in St. Martin last year and brought a 2000 Honda which I use once or twice a week to make water etc. but I am very sensitive about when to run it, usually during the late morning. We have a Kiss wind gen and almost 400w of solar so try to keep the batteries up with that most of the time!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 15:22   #39

Planning to use it less rather than more, but haven't experienced the hot nights yet; so not sure whether we'll be wishing for AC.
Old 15-02-2016, 15:57   #40

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I'd say as a basic rule of thumb that if you need to run a genset for other than battery charging or the occasional AC requirement you'd be best served by a diesel genset, otherwise the Honda style ones are fine.

Noise is a funny thing. On a still night, everything sounds noisy. What I will say is I can't hear my little Honda running when more then about 5 metres or so from the boat with any sort of even mild breeze blowing (I hate gensets and always check that the noise isn't going to be annoying for those nearby - we also tend to limit it to run either mid morning or mid afternoon). However, if working towards full capacity they can start to wail a little bit, due in part to the high rpm (about 6000 or 7000).

CO is something to be aware of as even recently there appears to have been a case of multiple fatalities related to running a genset in a cockpit. All in all though, these unfortunate instances don't seem to be too common.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 16:03   #41

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

It will be cool if Honda will comes out an insulated water cool 2000. It has a siphon hose to pick up the sea water on the side of the boat.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 06:52   #42

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:

This is probably the LEAST efficient way to generate power at anchor. Unnecessary strain and maintenance on the main engine and not very fuel efficient. Not to mention the loss of efficiency using an inverter, especially for small loads. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 07:03   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
This is probably the LEAST efficient way to generate power at anchor. Unnecessary strain and maintenance on the main engine and not very fuel efficient. Not to mention the loss of efficiency using an inverter, especially for small loads. Chuck

Mh...what about a smal DIESEL dc genset? like a lawnmover diesel engine, coupled to a big alternator?, engine loaded, good efficiency...get it inside the engine room, with a good forced ventilation and a night with AC would not be a problem
Old 16-02-2016, 08:01   #44

Boat: H36

Quote:
Mh...what about a smal DIESEL dc genset? like a lawnmover diesel engine, coupled to a big alternator?, engine loaded, good efficiency...get it inside the engine room, with a good forced ventilation and a night with AC would not be a problem

How about a combination anchor/Honda generator! Start it, throw it off the bow to anchor the boat. Honda would automatically reel out a combined trip line, intake,exhaust snorkel. This would water cool the motor sink the noise and the fuel tank.
😅⛵️😜

Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 08:22   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Doug View Post
How about a combination anchor/Honda generator! Start it, throw it off the bow to anchor the boat. Honda would automatically reel out a combined trip line, intake,exhaust snorkel. This would water cool the motor sink the noise and the fuel tank.
😅⛵️😜

MH....not bad idea at all

Tags
generator, mob