Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2006, 17:38   #16
Eternal Member

Jon,

The Nanopulser is one of the brands I'm testing. I have several of them, and am going to send one to John.

Would really appreciate it if you could provide any feedback when you get a chance.

Thanks,

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 17:41   #17

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
I wish I knew you were looking for test subjects -- could have saved some $$ -- I'll have a good feel mid spring -- not running charge discharge cycles right now just leaving the boat plugged in and living aboard with the charger keeping batteries topped off. If you want more info contact off line and I'll be happy to help
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 17:43   #18

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus
Hey Jon!

How are you feeling?? I hope all is well.

Thanks for the input, I think that is what I was asking and most likely what I should do. And after this discussion, I can see that I should also be more diligent about my charging regimen. I don't think the batts are in bad condition at all. As you know, I was on shore power until April, then came south. Motored a good deal of the time...so those batts saw a lot of charging. Then the trip to the keys in June, some more sailing and motoring in July.

After a day of sun, the batts settle in at something over 12.82V. Applying 1 amp of load, the V comes down to perhaps 12.6 and stays there, going a little lower over the course of an hour or more. After the load is released, they pop right back up to near top voltage. Insofar as that little test means anything, they are at least decent if not good.

Using the inverter, the draw with the computer on is 6.9 amps. Calculating from the power brick, the computer is only drawing 5.4amps. So...using a DC-DC power adapter should reduce the draw pretty significantly, and thus the drain. Every little bit will help.

Am not at all in dire straights here (wish I WERE in that band then...but...). Just want to optimize and be able to use the computer a little more...if I want to...that said, I am probably on too much as it is.

Best

John
ps - SSB is working great now. Made a cleaner connection to the antenna and tweaked the ground quite a bit. Made a huge difference. Am one of the loudest and clearest boats here now. Making contacts at the upper limit of the band's propagation.
John Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 17:47   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Adding a battery now seems to be not a good move. If you can't charge the ones you have fully now what happens when the new battery is just as uncharged as the rest. Then getting everything back to full is harder than it was before. better to find a battery you can fully charge with a program that is more regular then once per month.

Trying to be all solar takes a lot more energy than you have. Even if you doubled it I'm not sure you get fully charged.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm