Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2012, 18:32   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Mixed Feelings about LED Cabin Lighting

We paid 12 to 17 from IMTRA. Similar prices from Marine Beam. I have both on board. Both are PWM extreme high frequency and do not bother our radios. Similar impressions regarding brightness and low power. Please follow my links above (post 46) regarding current regulation before you buy bulbs not specifically intended for marine use. The new LED's and technology are way ahead of the stuff we all bought only a couple of years ago but you have to send yourself to 'school' or you may very likely make mistakes. If you spend your time plugged in at night and don't cruise broadly this is not so important.

BTW, the LED makers are in such a race to pack in more that I had a tough time finding one small enough for the compass. My old W&P had a blown bulb. Plaith wanted a small fortune as usual and no LED replacement available. I had to find one in the fractional lumen output. We are 24 VDC so I had to build from parts. In this case, I had to use a choke to get the power right.

If you need a tiny DC/DC power converter check these guys out. You can convert 24 or 12 directly to standard voltages for aftermarket GPS antennas or for your LEDs. Murata Power Solutions | DC/DC Converters, AC/DC Power Supplies, Digital Panel Meters, Magnetics Since the parasitic loss of these devices is some percentage of its rated size, small is better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB020002.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	36305  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 23:41   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming Yachtsman View Post

Lastly, we installed two 1 foot long sections of blue LED's about 1/3 the way up the mast. These definitely stand out in a busy anchorage, making the boat much easier to find.

Contact info:
e-mail LGSFraming@comcast.net; phone: 520-954-2598
Are those wired to your anchor light?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 14:54   #93

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Are those wired to your anchor light?
No, they are in place of the deck light that has never worked for more than a few minutes on each bulb. I just gave up on it and don't really like blinding everyone on board with it anyway. I don't anchor at night often enough to be an issue.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 17:22   #94

Boat: 2001 Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
We get our LEDs from Bill Deng & Lighting Matrix, an LED factory in Hong Kong. Their G4 replacements use 12 "5050" segments. They're brighter than the 10W halogens without needing heat sinks. LM seems pretty committed to quality, as ALL of their 12v LEDs have IC current limiting. You can tell because their input voltage specs are 8-30v, not just 10-15v (which usually indicates resistor current limiting).
Thanks. How do you go about ordering from them, I see no prices? It appears they offer both a 9 and 12 LED version in the G4 size. Is there a particular reason you chose the 12? Also, they don't show dimensions which is a concern due to the small size of our overhead fixtures.
Pete
prroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:02   #95

Boat: 2001 Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
We get our LEDs from Bill Deng & Lighting Matrix, an LED factory in Hong Kong. Their G4 replacements use 12 "5050" segments. They're brighter than the 10W halogens without needing heat sinks. LM seems pretty committed to quality, as ALL of their 12v LEDs have IC current limiting. You can tell because their input voltage specs are 8-30v, not just 10-15v (which usually indicates resistor current limiting).
I've been in email contact with Bill as described in my own thread at:
Thank you very much for the reference. I hope it works out in a timely manner. I also will be interested down the road in an anchor light and maybe running lights.

Can you elaborate on cost of shipping and delivery times? These are the unknowns at the moment.
Pete
prroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:20   #96

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by prroots View Post
I've been in email contact with Bill ... I also will be interested down the road in an anchor light and maybe running lights.
Can you elaborate on cost of shipping and delivery times? ... How do you go about ordering from them, I see no prices? It appears they offer both a 9 and 12 LED version in the G4 size. Is there a particular reason you chose the 12? Also, they don't show dimensions which is a concern due to the small size of our overhead fixtures.
...Pete
Hi Pete - You have to contact Bill Deng for prices & shipping costs; just tell him how you want them shipped. He usually replies very quickly, & he can answer any questions (like size). We usually use DHL or Express Mail Service. EMS is significantly cheaper, but a bit slower & tracking is problematic when it goes over international boundaries, as the new country doesn't always use the same numbers (although the US does, so tracking usually continues when shipping things INTO the US).

Note that these LEDs are very light - you'll probably be at a minimum shipping cost. So the incremental costs of adding more LEDs to your order is pretty small. Better to order everything you want at the same time, or the shipping costs will add up.

Remember that Lighting Matrix is a factory, & they don't usually have ANY finished LEDs in stock, so they have to make your order before they ship it. This usually takes a few days, maybe a week for a complex order. Then it's the usual DHL 5-8 days to get it to you.

We ordered the 12-segment G4 replacements because we wanted as much light as possible. Each 5050 chip produces ~12 lumens. We were replacing 10W halogen bulbs, which produce ~100 lumens I think. Both the 10 & the 12 segment LEDs are noticeably brighter, even in Warm White (Cool White LEDs are ~10% brighter, but not as nice to look at IMO).
Old 14-02-2012, 07:21   #97

Boat: Beneteau 361

I bought these G4 9 LED Bulb - 2.16W to replace the 10W halogen dome light bulbs in my 36' Beneteau, and they are actually brighter. I got the 'warm' flavor, and I find the light quite acceptable. I haven't checked on how much noise they put out (I only have a VHF, not SSB, so it may not be a problem for me, I don't know).

I would like to find cheaper LED replacements for the halogen MR16 reading lights. I got two Imtra 3x1W warm bulbs for the main berth reading lights, but they were expensive. (I also need to find a replacement for the actual lamps in a couple of situations, if anyone has a recommendation). I'm especially keen on replacing these because they are housed in a metal housing that gets so hot, reaching up to adjust the aim is sure to burn your hands (nice design job there ). Again, LED replacements or whole lamp alternatives would be most welcome (Beneteau wants over $100 for the same ugly lamps, so I'm not going there).
batkins61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 08:25   #98

Hi Batkins - see the post above yours. Lighting Matrix LEDs are cheap and bright & have IC current limiting. Most specs are on the website if you dig deep enough. For prices you have to contact Bill Deng.
Old 22-02-2012, 21:22   #99

Boat: Beneteau 36.7

Recently I added IKEA LED accent lights to my main cabin, three on each side. I was suprised at how warm they seem and that the light broadcast is quite reasonable for an end of night nightcap / reading. As I was adding panels to cover where vinyl had been hacked away in the past they got embedded but come with a surface mount option. They also plug into 110v but the light current is 12V and I wired them into the 12V electrical system.

When I've added the trim sitting in my garage I'll post a photo. But happy so far!

INREDA Spotlight - IKEA
Old 23-02-2012, 04:47   #100

Hmmm... available at your local Ikea (not online) but $11.25 each(!) & no specs. How many lumens are they putting out? What voltage range can they handle? They probably depend on that power brick to make sure they're getting 12.00v, so be careful when charging your batteries (no indication if they've got IC current limiting). Maybe OK if you're in a hurry, but I can get 145 lumens with IC current limiting for $4 each + shipping (& they don't weigh anything).
Old 23-02-2012, 05:59   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
I have just added a couple of g4 led units from Bedazzled in the UK. As I mentioned above, I have been trying a little bit of everything from different suppliers including Imtra, Superbright, and many others.

Well, the Bedazzled ones are the first ones I have tried which are significantly different from the others. They are nearly as the 20 watt halogens they replaced, and the quality of the light is totally un-led like. Looks just like halogen. Superb!!

Now some or all of the difference may be down to this: I mounted them edge-wise in deep fixtures so that the light is reflected, not direct. Maybe this reflection is key to breaking up the disturbingly artificial led light rays. All I can say at this point is that it looks absolutely superb. Experiments will continue.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 08:06   #102

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Reflected LED light is the principle I have always assumed is behind why recessed LED strips set under cabinets and lockers, for instance, looks a lot nicer than direct, at least at the "cheap" grade.

Light up a bookshelf or small bar with a couple of strips and the whole saloon is a warm, yellowish colour. Not good for reading, but cooler and cheaper than an oil lamp.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 21:30   #103

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Bill, you might want to take a look at these guys. Someone else recommended them above.

12v & 24 volt Replacement LED Light Bulbs - Bedazzled UK
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 01:37   #104
Marine Service Provider

So much for color regs.....We left a deep-in anchorage just recently in the FOG, and noticed a Bridge had been erected in the time that we dropped hook, and retrieved. It was only 3 days.

After motoring out for 5 minutes in the fog, we soon realized that it was not a bridge, but in fact an about 200 ft Sloop rigged sail boat, from South Africa...o"well I guess they don't know color regs.

But what the hell do all the lights mean anyways??????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming Yachtsman View Post
With respect to complaints in early posts to this thread about dim LED lighting, it seems ironic that two days ago I finished installing a dimmer for a string of LED's in our saloon because they are so bright. We replaced all of the interior halogen lights with LED inserts because they provide about 50% more light (guessing because I don't have a lux meter) for about 1/10 the current. We obtained the replacements from LGS Framing in Tucson (wife met Roy, the owner, at a home and garden fair). They are a bit pricey at $30/insert but you may be able to work a volume deal. Part number is: G4.RV3N-F HALOGEN REPLACEMENTS.

We also installed a bar of LED lights across the cockpit under the bimini top. They are in two segments with a quick disconnect at the center so we can run only half the LED's if desired. Even with only half energized, we usually dim them to about half brightness for proper ambiance.

Lastly, we installed two 1 foot long sections of blue LED's about 1/3 the way up the mast. These definitely stand out in a busy anchorage, making the boat much easier to find.

Contact info:
e-mail LGSFraming@comcast.net; phone: 520-954-2598
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:28   #105

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

We have 16 G4 Hella lights in our FP Athena 38 and for obvious reasons we have changed about half so far of the G4 halogen capsules with warm white G4 LEDs from Ultraleds in the UK The UKs No1 LED Light Tape and LED Bulb Supplier | Ultra LEDs
They do units up to about 35w equivalent and we have been able to get adequate brightness and light quality at reasonable price. Most are specced up to 30V and we have not had a unit fail so far in 3 years
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, cabin lighting