Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2015, 08:18   #1

Boat: Island Packet 35
Midnite Kid Experiences

Is anyone using the Midnite Kid MPPT Controller, and if so what are your thoughts?
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 09:24   #2

Boat: Catalina 387
Re: Midnite Kid Experiences

I have one in my motorhome. 2 240w 24v panels on the roof, wired in parallel. I have seen 29+A out of it. Overall, like it a lot. I purposely went "too much" for the panels, as it's foggy here a lot in the AM. My rv has a residential fridge off of an inverter so it uses quite a bit of power. Even with the fridge, every trip so far has the batteries into absorb by 1pm (the rest of the day is free power).

Pros:
  • The kid does exactly what it's supposed to, charges the battery from the solar.
  • The MPPT seems to work well.
  • Doesn't get hot.
  • All charge voltages are editable - I put absorb down to 13.3 when storing the RV, 14.4 when we're using it.
  • With the wiz-bang or whatever the shunt thing is called, it'll drop out of absorb based on current to the battery. It'll also not pop back to bulk based on non-charge usage (like when my fridge draws 8A)
  • Lots of options for the load terminals.

Cons: (and most of these are nit-picky)
  • The buttons and menus kinda suck from a UI perspective. Would much rather have some software on a laptop that hooks to the USB port.
  • Can't data log out of the USB port.
  • Connection terminals are too small. Sure, they're good for 10awg. But I wired with #6 and had to pigtail down to get into the connectors. Bigger connectors are also easier to use even with #10.
  • When flushmounting it, the mounting holes are too close - your cutout better be perfect.

I originally wanted the Rogue, but they're out of business. I was willing to pay the cost difference for the Kid from one of the cheap Chinese controllers. Probably didn't need to since I've got so much panel. I use a 140w panel and a PWM controller on the boat. Wish I would have gone MPPT there too.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 10:29   #3

Boat: Island Packet 35
Re: Midnite Kid Experiences

Just got mine in from Belmont Solar along with 2 more 100 watt panels.

Full disclosure, I ordered it after sundowners and was hoping it was the right decision the next day. Hope to have it all installed and compare the output next week replacing a China PWM.

tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc